I Forge Iron

need advice on springy rod

i took a power pole and built a spinning teeter totter for my kids, i used a 3/4" hard steel rod for a center pivot rod, but it broke due to the teetering and the tottering, obviously the spinning was not a stress on it. I would like a larger diameter rod and one that wouldn't snap, so it needs to be springy---- what should i look for. I would reuse or salvage something if i had an idea where to look, or i would buy a new chunk of steel if i was sure what to get. i need something with plenty of spring, maybe an inch in diameter and 24" long. what would i buy?

Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you. Just out of curiosity are you interested in blacksmithing or just need a little engineering help? Oh, we'll do what we can to help but I was wondering.

Were I building one and had to use a power pole, (NOT CREOSOTED I hope!) I'd mount it on a truck front spindle and use the hub to bolt to the foundation. The spindle would bolt to the timber's center of gravity so it could teeter with limit stops so no little feet would get crushed.  

Frosty The Lucky.