I Forge Iron

Guess What It Is

Anyone know?!  Solid steel with a little brass. None of the local old timers or farmers we've asked seem to know what this is and one said it was not part of the original shop and was brought in stored there later. 

20200905_171238.jpg

JA: Does the "spindle" on the end appear to be intended to rotate and is there a drum inside the frame that looks like it was intended to rotate.  It appears that the spindle and interior body are intended to adjust vertically.  In any case, it looks like a beast and with a little modification could be a fine anvil stand if the height is right.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Hmmmm. Pics from different angles please? The other end, from the side and maybe one down from above so we can see how it goes together. 

Looks a little like a widget whisker washer from this angle but I could be wrong. 

Frosty The Lucky.

At first I thought it was an old parts tumbler.  I will go out on a limb and "guess" its an ancient shop made swage for expanding something and probably had interchangeable cone shaped mandrels of different sizes if that shaft goes in and out, not round and round.  Have you seen any other cone shaped objects laying around?  :)

Scott.

Is there any access port or door into the interior cylinder?  If so, the idea of some sort of rotating tumbler has merit.  If not, as Nodebt suggests, there may be an internal piston which moves the spindle in and out.  The pipe fittings on the ends of the cylinder suggest introducing or exhausting compressed air or steam.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Frosty, which is the top?!  :huh:   haha

Nodebt, not sure that it was something of the blacksmith's since it wasn't recognized by one of the family who worked in the shop in his youth.  He said he wasn't sure what it was but that it wasn't there previously.  Said his brother, who passed away and who's estate we bought, must have bought and stored it there after the shop closed.  It is my understanding the blacksmith closed the shop in the 70s and sometime after that is when the owner of the estate bought or inherited it.  Small town = lots of family relation and passing of property.

George N.M., no access port or door that I have seen.  

I'll get you a few more pics tomorrow and wait for the next guess?  :)

Sorry Frosty, hubby said he isn't standing it up again yet because it's too heavy :lol:  Once he does, I'll get that other side pic for you!

I need the 15 year old to get his work all done so he can partake in that endeavor, George N.M.! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've wished for same but Mars is too cold and only gains us an hour. Then there are Mercury at 1,408 hours or Venus at 5,832 hours to the day but the cost of air conditioning would be a deal killer not to mention shipping.

Maybe once we get orbital habitats we can adjust our days? 

Being planet bound is such a . . . <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.