I Forge Iron

Just brought home Champion Blower Forge Drill Press 203 1/2

Hello All. I'm new here and wanted to share some pictures of my newest piece of shop equipment. I located this Champion Blower And Forge Drill Press this past weekend. Model Number 203 1/2. All i have been able to find out about it is that most of the drill presses were Post Drills. This one is a stand alone model and I believe it was originally belt driven. It stands somewhere around 6 feet tall.

Sometime in the past, the previous owner added an electric motor and transmission to it. The story I was told was that he couldn't get the motor to drill slow enough, so he added the transmission at the top.

I would be interested in finding out more information on how this drill press originally looked and if anyone has any original catalog pictures, that would be most helpful! Thanks and look forward to participating in this board!

I did find a picture of a 203 post drill on the internet that is close to what I have, but post mounted and not as big as my unit.

7584.attach

7585.attach

7586.attach

It certainly is a beauty, I have a Champ 200 1/2 post drill that's almost complete, needs a flywheel.

The old motors that came with these things frequently turned much more slowly than modern ones, in the 500rpm range comes to mind.

Regardless that old beauty would sure look good cleaned up and painted hunter green and gold. ;)

Frosty

Alright Elrod, as promised, here's the scan from the 1909 catalog. If it's not big enough, just click it again, you should be able to read all the text. Make note of the original price!

drill203.jpg

Bruce is right, it's a dandy you have there. I love that engineering of the transmission. Enjoy.

Edited by keykeeper

Keykeeper:

You wouldn't have a pic in that catalogue of the 200 1/2 would you?

If it's like the 202 in the pic mine doesn't take a flywheel. It'd sure save me the trouble of making a mold of one for next summer's iron pour.

Thanks,

Frosty

Not to highjack the thread, but here's a scan of your drill Frosty!

200halfdrill.jpg

In case you don't have one!:D

(You posted while I was scanning, Frosty!) It does have a flywheel. Enjoy!

(One of these days, I'll have the whole book scanned!)

Edited by keykeeper

That's my baby! Thank you!

Of course that means I need to make a mold for next June's iron pour.

On the other hand I have something to make a mold of for next year! Win win!

I'll even be able to scale it from the catalog page and get it right.

Thanks again.

Frosty

You are welcome, Sir! You can probably get a pretty good print of it if you print it out to full page size.

Really, I like sharing information on these old tools. I have a passion for old tools, especially blacksmithing related ones. Finding them at a bargain is only half the fun, researching them is the other half. I have one of the Champion 93 drills to refurbish. I bought one, then an even better one, so between the two and another part I picked up on ebay, I have everything except the table support bracket. Hope to find one of those in good shape someday, but I'll probably fab something up until that comes along.

Big Thanks to Keykeeper for finding these articles! I really appreciate it.

Mine drill is missing the large feed wheel at the top. How hard do you think it would be to find a replacement wheel for one of these? Does one have to almost find another identical unit? Anyone have spare parts??

Thanks!

Elrod, I think by looking at the picture that is a flywheel to keep the momentum going when cranked. The installation of the motor negated the need for it. I may be wrong, but if I am, someone on here will correct me. The feed wheel would be the smaller one in the front. This drill has the feed lever also.

-aaron

• 6 months later...

Hello

I did a search for Champion Forge 203-1/2 drill press and found your post on this site. I looked at your pictures and really enjoyed seeing the press. I then went back into my shop and double checked my press and low and behold it is a No. 204.
The camel back casting has the no, 203-1/2 on one side, but it looks like it has been ground on. On the other side under the return spring is No. 204.
Here are some pictures of my press that I bought in Tyler ,TX some 35 years ago.
Thanks,
Mel

11446.attach

11447.attach

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Keykeeper: How come when I click on your image {to go to picture} I end up in the gallery with no sign of your picture or image? I have no problems with conecting with other style of links except for the x type that you {and a few others} use and also I have yet to figure how to cut and paste. Thanks to you or anyone that can help with your style of links. Armand PS For instance when Frosty posts a link to a picture I have no trouble with his style of links. Armand

I ALWAYS have the same frustrating problem. When someone shows a link to the gallery I just get the GALLERY with no idea where to go from there. I love this site so much but somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this picture thing. I hate to be a whiner-but this is such an ongoing problem... thanks in advance,Eric Sprado

• 8 months later...

Keykeeper:

You wouldn't have a pic in that catalogue of the 200 1/2 would you?

If it's like the 202 in the pic mine doesn't take a flywheel. It'd sure save me the trouble of making a mold of one for next summer's iron pour.

Thanks,

Frosty

Hey Frosty, I have a 200 1/2 and can give you measurements of your part if I have it. Mine was set up on a line shaft with a flat belt drive pulley and an idle pulley next to it. Also has provision for a hand crank on the right side but alas I do not have it.
I can not view the catalog picture keykeeper posted so am not sure of the flywheel you mentioned?
Rob