I Forge Iron

How to get started black smithing ?

You asked the entire world: "Where can I find railroad track"?    If you meant "Where can I find railroad track near Virginia, USA" it would be handy to say so!  The location I gave is about 6 miles from my smithy and if you ever get out here in the high and dry; you are welcome to stop by and visit!

A good way to find sources local to yourself would be to ask blacksmithing groups close to your location.  I'd suggest finding the local ABANA Affiliates and tracking down some people you can contact directly.  Once things open back up it would be a good idea to attend some meetings and ask about people and sources near your part of VA, (I spend 6 years in McLean VA back in the 1960's; and I recently lost my Sister who lived in Manassas)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that requires various hammer and manipulation techniques.  I often start beginners on S hooks because they require a couple of different processes and give the person something useful that they have made.  They also teach repetition in trying to make the 2 end curves symmetrical.  Also, they do not take very long to do.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I am currently working through 40 feet of stock. I’m gonna make a ton of coat hooks until I get bored of them, then work on other beginner projects (s hooks, fireplace sets but they take more stock and a bit more advanced skills, working on forge welds later, and whatever else I feel like making) but hooks are a good way to start off, and if you don’t have tongs you can make coat hooks with long stock and have the last step be hot cutting it and then break it off into your slack tub.

But whatever you do, make sure it has multiple techniques required (as George said) and repeat them over and over to really develop your skills.

Can you ILL "The Backyard Blacksmith: Traditional Techniques for the Modern Smith;  Lorelei Sims; Published by Quarry Books; ISBN 10: 1592532519ISBN 13: 9781592532513 from your local public library?    (or find a used copy for around US$6 at abebooks.com)

It has a number of different projects in it.  I find that making things that are useful to me or can be gifted or sold makes for better projects to  learn on.  Go with things that are simple to start with; as failing at complex projects again and again is just frustrating for a new smith.