I Forge Iron

Anvil ID. <split from Hijack>

Welcome aboard Outlaw, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll find out how many members live within visiting distance. A lot of information and opportunities are location specific.

That's a "198lb. Soderfors anvil cast in 1929" just like it says on the side. I hope you plan on using that beauty, Soderfors cast Swedish steel anvils are as good as anvils get. Check the other side for the model name, mine is a Sorceress #5 but Soderfors is a major foundry anvils were a sideline and they made them for many retailers. Paragon is another brand or model name, there are others but I'm blanking on them.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just replied to your other post. Repeating the SAME QUESTION EVERY FEW MINUTES and shouting the subject line will NOT make you any friends and could get you moderated. 

We are NOT here to hurry up and answer your questions. Learn to be patient more polite or folks just won't reply to you.

Frosty The Lucky.

A good deal? At $175.00 U.S. you got a steal at 88 cents a pound and it is a cast steel anvil, one of the finest. I have seen Soderfors go for upwards of $7.00 a pound. Can't tell what the piece that came with it but it will come in handy fore sure. It looks like a counter weight off a piece of heavy equipment like a tractor or bulldozer. I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the face of the anvil.

Don't sweat it Outlaw, it's a learning curve and a lot of us are cranky old farts. I shouted at you already so you don't have to sit in the corner and write something demeaning. Relax, it's all good. 

If you'll put your general location in the header you'll maybe meet folks willing to help you learn the craft. Every hour spent with an experienced smith will save you sometimes days of trying to figure it out yourself. 

That's just a nice size chunk of steel, it's not related to the anvil other than the seller wanting it gone and you were handy. $175 for a 198lb Soderfors!!!:o I hope you bought a lottery ticket! That's the SWEETEST deal I've seen in a long time. It's like getting a Ferrari for the price of an old used toyota! 

I missed what you paid earlier because you replied IN the quote window. Next time reply below it, the cursor will be where you want to type. There are other things about quoting that takes a little getting used to but folks will help out.

Don't hesitate to take a powered wire brush to it, a cup brush in a disk grinder is perfect, wear PPE!! (Personal Protective Equipment) Digging bits of broken wire out of your hide smarts. A wire brush won't hurt it a bit and rusty isn't the way to treat a fine lady like that just go grinding. Once you get her cleaned up a wipe down with Boiled linseed oil or my favorite Trewax, a Carnuba paste wax applied on it at about hot coffee temp. 

Frosty The Lucky.

$175??? You lucky dog! I don't have to ask about the ring, it's a Soderfors. How's the rebound? I have a 1920 151# Soderfors that I love. It's an excellent anvil.

If you're looking to you know.. make a profit. $176 and i'll take it off your hands :D willing to negotiate of course. Mine has been wanting a big brother! 

Kidding of course, that's a beauty and I'm sure she'll serve you well.