I Forge Iron

A new axe forge build!

Paul Kin

Paul, it's the breech end of an old naval gun that ended up in the scrapyard here in the desert.  Currently it's in two parts and IIRC it weighs something like 40K pounds (for this piece!)  Wish I had a picture of the muzzle end to show how deep walled it is.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jealdi just be careful! Propane tanks are not safe to cut up even if you think they are empty. I have a way to ensure they are empty but its also not safe! Sorry I dont go into detail, its just not safe :P 

JHCC those doors are epic!! I think Im going to do a little replanning on my doors! I dont need that cool a back door but it would be very nice to have the fronts like that...

Thomas thats pretty neat! Would make a cool lawn ornament/fire breathing shop sign if it doesnt sink into the ground :P 

Haha you got it! But even a propane tank is way thicker then you need. Do you have a local welding/fab shop? They may seem intimidating, rough n gruff, but usually thats just on the outside! Ive worked with/in most of our welding shops and they are all really nice guys. Tell them your building a forge. Welders love that! Around here anyway haha. Im sure they will help you find what you need.

I found some sheet metal at the local big box that will "work." 16g. It's 6" x 18". Which I think is fine, I don't know that I really need any deeper than a 6" forge at this time. Sadly unless I start spending time at work making phone calls... I'm stuck on going a lot of places in person because they all close about the same time I get off work. I'd much rather ask about this kind of stuff in person, figure I'll get more traction that way. Got a plumber coming to look at a drain at the house tonight... he also does HVAC... going to ask him about Kaowool/ceramic fiber stuff since he does the HVAC work too. See if he has a bin I can dig through :) 

Do you have a local "party store"?  They tend to stock small Helium tanks much like Propane tanks but lighter and when used up are thrown away.  I have a bunch I got free out of their dumpster hanging in my shop to give away to new students wanting to build a forge.

Balloon Time Small Helium Tank 8.9cu ft, 5in    small and larger Large Helium Tank

There are less hazards cutting helium tanks, pretty much none if you DON'T use an Oxy-Acetylene cutting torch.

Big box stores tend to have horrible prices for buying plain steel---I can buy, at a steel dealer, a standard 20' stick of most sizes of stock I use for the *SAME* price as 4' at the Despot!

Ahh that makes sense... I always have friday afternoons after physiotherapy to do my running around. Which is also nice cause friday afternoons is beer time for most shops here and the are very friendly then :D 

With your HVAC guy make sure you ask about 2600° blanket! Id bet he carries more lower temp stuff, but I could be wrong!

Thomas has a good point with the helium tanks. Also, I feel like 6” might be a little short unless your building a mini forge. My forge is 9” and thats as short as I feel I can get away with. Though a 6” forge would probably work well for hooks and such I suppose.

Tanks are really nice because you can cut your openings the size you need and leave the rounded lips to cover the end of the insulation. No welding needed. Can bolt on legs, burner holder (aka plumbing floor flange). Aw heck you could even use nuts, washers, and longer bolts for the legs! Could literally do it all with hand tools.

On 8/4/2020 at 1:37 PM, Paul Kin said:

Thanks and good to know metalguy! It just so happens I have some hooks on consignment with a local potter. I will ask her! Kiln shelves totally slipped my mind for some reason.

Happy to help. 

I really like the T burners. Easy and let's me get on with forging instead of messing about with burners. The NARB looks cool, I need to build one someday. Good luck with your project. Would love to see some of your axes.

My wife keeps leaning towards me buying a forge... she's not much of a fan of me scrapping up parts and doing everything myself (especially since I keep having to buy more tools for things)... I'll show her the light eventually! 

T burners are great! I cant even count how many I have built this year... every time I tell a friend to just look up and build a T burner, a few days later I always get “uhhh can you just build me one?” But thats ok cause I like buildin stuff n things!

I will eventually build a NARB... I just dont fully understand em yet and havent had a chance to experiment. But all Ive read about them they really seem amazing.

Heres the axe style Im making and sort of basing this forge off!57A0B552-C37A-4447-B0FC-C2466C0A5989.thumb.jpeg.e02735069d7d279f086c8550422138c3.jpeg

The bearded one on the right is mine, the left one with the burnt handle I won from Alecs 4 weeks of forging :D And then theres the 2 billets up top I started recently.

Nothin wrong with buying a forge Jealdi. Just make sure you buy a quality one... those ebay ones are 1” of raw kaowool. Not very good.

Yeah, I've combed through these forums like crazy. If I buy something, probably be a Chile Tabasco (I just don't see myself needing the size of the  Habanero in the near enough future to justify the price difference).

That would be a good way to go Jealdi. Would be the easiest most effective solution for you by the sounds of it! Plus gotta love the buy, pick up, hook up, start hammering proccess!

Thomas is so right its not even funny! If I were able to be working full time I wouldnt have the time to build these things. Unless I simply stopped sleeping! Also, that was the case with my grandparents on my dads side Thomas. Never met my grampa. They were a mining family. Worked almost every mine in the area here. My dad and his siblings grew up playing in the mines even!

Question! This is the most recent formula Ive found for the diy ITC-100 on these forums:462BFFC1-D17C-450D-916C-D9F054413B31.jpeg.71000137e8800f34ab7bce3869c7eff4.jpeg
Is this still the case? If so, a person can make it very cheaply in comparison... thats why Im hesitant on buying the stuff. Just seems to easy and cheap no??? And if this is the case, why is ITC so expensive?

22 hours ago, Paul Kin said:

T burners are great! I cant even count how many I have built this year... I will eventually build a NARB... The bearded one on the right is mine

LOL, I am in the same place with burners. I have a little lathe and it is just easier to drill and tap the Tee than it is to explain it to someone. I am honestly scared that if I make one NARB I will have to make 20. 

Your axe looks sweet! I love bearded axes the best! 

Haha same here! My dad has a lathe so I usually go make a few. Its about $20 in parts including the mig tip and adaptor then I ask $5 for my time. I hear ya there! If I have to start making NARBs, my time would be worth a little more!

Thanks! I have a handful of my earlier ones spread throughout my neighbourhood getting tested out. I am just getting to the point that I feel confident enough to sell them. Thats what those 2 started billets are for! This guy has been asking to buy axes for months. So hes up next!

• 3 weeks later...

Well its lined! :D just finished this afternoon. I will probably fire it on sunday and start the drying then. But here it is so far:

3A8BE1D5-D757-4E82-AD01-D52D87B10C9C.thumb.jpeg.a2e77c94c60963cbc3471b904a5d9f9b.jpegFAB96C3D-E769-401C-8D07-5260B04CBBCB.thumb.jpeg.f630ae6c7f5bb939318bcfc3c25af81d.jpeg

76BA2CEF-97F4-4918-A3D7-D393206534E8.thumb.jpeg.2212eee18204b39fb0e482c9f55962be.jpeg

F1DFB4B1-7497-4FE9-8083-20F41C23EC6F.thumb.jpeg.4fd4a5980dc4d25d2467ff238dad3d1f.jpeg

2B32743C-BA71-4245-A4ED-8B9F5FFB830D.thumb.jpeg.4272c18f334c639c2d84b8463c26ae9a.jpeg

The back “porch” is line for a reason. I have a plan for some reversible doors so I can add 2.5” floor space if needed. But thats for another day. Cant wait to fire it up!

Well this thing is pretty sweet if I do say so myself! Its mesmerizing just to watch. Theres a near perfect vortex of flame swirling in the middle. Almost hypnotizing... as if its calling you to join it.. become one with the gentle, caressing flame..

Anyway! It works really well. Once up to heat, you have a full 8”x9” floor thats very evenly heated. This T burner worked out well too. I can turn the regulator down to 3/4-1 turn from closed and maintain about 1500° for heat treating. I tested it by doing a couple normalizing cycles on a knife. I need to get a new gauge but it looks to be at around 5 psi. I can do my forging at about 10 psi. It is only about 225 cu/in of course so the burner doesnt have to work very hard at all. Weird thing is though, it doesnt sputter almost at all at even the lowest psi. It does a bit at like 1/4 turn from off on the regulator... but it just runs so smooth. Im not sure why this one works so well compared to any other one Ive ever made. Any insights as to whats up there??? Id love to be able to repeat this.

Heres some pics though! I couldnt catch the swirl with a picture unfortunately though...

804D5267-0A15-49C5-9055-A2CABA441361.thumb.jpeg.dd9f911e29d879a70ec611d623d64596.jpeg
AFC9BD24-02BF-401B-84BB-1584A225679F.thumb.jpeg.42cb906c926e1c41ae7f4048e1f372b8.jpeg

01BE7F44-D522-4819-B4A0-CCFCAE8D51A4.thumb.jpeg.763f986b6492e6b91ede29d790ce2098.jpeg

35E61529-81C3-4397-A7F9-2190431F524D.thumb.jpeg.bdf50864cd83340c654bbd67b5dbf68d.jpeg

That last one you can see theres certainly a hot spot but it wasnt up to heat yet. Once I get going I always forget to take my phone out and get more pictures... oh well! All in all I am very happy with this one!