I Forge Iron

What should the weld prep for a loop look like?

Having recently gotten set up for solid fuel where I'm not fighting the setup, I've been doing the occasional forge welding practice.  I've got some future projects that could use a looped eye like pictured below.  I know there's a name for hooks used in draft animals and wagons that use welded eyes done the same way, but for the life of me I can't dredge up the proper name.  Regardless, my cursory searches haven't come up with anything that details the process or how the material gets prepared to do the weld properly.

It didn't blend in properly, but seems to have stuck a little.  I haven't properly tested the strength of it yet to see if really did weld.

Slide2.thumb.JPG.c000ff072c298944c122ae363249b76f.JPG

Thomas, That's what I would have tried, it's just that I distinctly recall seeing that the material overlaps over a large area on the examples I'd seen.  I didn't think it would be able to be worked down in such a fashion if it wasn't already wrapping.

Steve- I thought I'd try it that way to see if it would work, and if it didn't at least it would look like what I'm after so I could ask the question!

I know a guy in the area that makes the hooks with this type of weld, but given the 'rona and his advanced age I won't be able to pick his brain for quite some time.  Anyone recall seeing the process illustrated anywhere?

The only real prep a lap like that needs is a scarf on the end and MAYBE a BIT of flattening on the sides. The scarf is to get a good weld set on the end. Set the end, then bring it back to the eye. 

Flattening the sides a LITTLE helps reduce the weld area necessary to make the joint one piece. 

Perhaps forging a bit of shoulder at the transition between weld joint and loop as Jennifer demonstrates for fold ax eyes would be of benefit. 

Frosty The Lucky.