I Forge Iron

Another one

natkova

Here is another bellows which wait me.to be repaired .

It is big guy, I bought it for about 60 dollars.

I think I wont gave a lots of job here, just need to sand some wood, check valves, ii do not think I would open them full , I will se but lots of nails.

I did not wanted to open it but I found rotted mice in it. I think I should.

IMG_20200622_173845.jpg

IMG-9545a146f29348ba215808815f1263f6-V.jpg

IMG-610b94235be548e7b0ea1f7a8bc92762-V.jpg

And here is how you ruin 200 years old antique.

I must change top board, I ruined leather , I mean I cuted it straight along board side and leather I think is in good condition, can be fixed and stiched with cowhide that I already have.

I need one 3 feet wide leather 90 cm and 10 feet long about 3 metres leather for all bellows.

IMG_20200628_204645.jpg

IMG_20200628_204640.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That is a LOT of pumping for the amount of blast and time. Being level with the fire pot could allow flammable gasses to flow into the bottom chamber. Mounting the bellows higher is the easy fix.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I punp twice and top chamber get inhaled.

I have one issue I made them.same sizes , should made 10 inches longer top but they would work.

I think I will.drill new hole higher and would.resolve that issue.

14 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

I appreciate you posting bellows rebuilds. I haven't come across a real one yet and enjoy looking at how they were put together. 

Thank you chriss main part of them.is leather.

It cant be to thin and to thick, if it is airtight and thin it wont work ned to be tough a litle bit.

It is 2 inches pipe.

ANd i don't know weigh of stone.

I put sotne there.

It will fall away in 10 seconds but consider that they are 1metre abotu 3 feet lon and 3 feet wide.

So yours was a bit smaller than mine as I made it from 2 4'x8' sections of plywood so top and bottom from one---cut to fit each one in a 4x4 half and the middle board and the 2 "horseshoe" arcs from the other 4'x8' board.

My nozzle was smaller and I did not use a weight as the fall time was just about right for the fire.  Of course for large pieces or forge welding I sometimes put a hammer on the top board.

My pump rate was slower than what you are using. may be 1/2??? I also got better inflation of the top chamber per stroke.  When cutting out the leathers did you make allowance that old leather shrinks and so the new ones should be larger than the old ones?

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

So yours was a bit smaller than mine as I made it from 2 4'x8' sections of plywood so top and bottom from one---cut to fit each one in a 4x4 half and the middle board and the 2 "horseshoe" arcs from the other 4'x8' board.

My nozzle was smaller and I did not use a weight as the fall time was just about right for the fire.  Of course for large pieces or forge welding I sometimes put a hammer on the top board.

My pump rate was slower than what you are using. may be 1/2??? I also got better inflation of the top chamber per stroke.  When cutting out the leathers did you make allowance that old leather shrinks and so the new ones should be larger than the old ones?Đ

I dont understand how do you mean old leaether shrinks, i removed old leather completly.

My pumping is i pump 3 times and get top chamber full.

I hate bellows frame i will make them heng and nail them to barn beam.
Tha's way i wont have it dancing around room.  i used some L peaces and nailed them on two board but i think i will make them hang from wal 3 feet.

How did you figure out the size and shape of the replacement "leathers"?  If you just removed the old leather and used it as a model to create the new one it would be a bit smaller than it was originally.

The double lunged bellows I built was based on a Commercially sold one, now in a museum.  I think I had about twice as much volume as the one you are using, the bottom board would go down almost to the floor when doing the intake.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

How did you figure out the size and shape of the replacement "leathers"?  If you just removed the old leather and used it as a model to create the new one it would be a bit smaller than it was originally.

The double lunged bellows I built was based on a Commercially sold one, now in a museum.  I think I had about twice as much volume as the one you are using, the bottom board would go down almost to the floor when doing the intake.

I used old one as template for lengt, and I nailed whole hide to bellows than later cut rest that was spare.

Those are made at bottom 20 inches like mine and at top 30 inches I made them same size by mistake but originally top chember was slightly bigger than bottom.