I Forge Iron

lets see your 1st attempt noob shoewd us his

I have a few pieces scattered here and there in the barn that i did very early, but I don't have pics yet.

But here's a pic of some stuff I found in an old bucket in the back of the shop some months ago. I've been debating with myself about posting the picture. They're not very good. These are some practice things I did the first year or so after building the shop.

Stuff that didn't come out quite right ended up tossed to the rear of the shop. I don't know how they came to be in one bucket, either.
It was 35 years ago.

I call it my "What was I thinking?" collection..............

oh, by the way,........the little piece in the upper left that sorta looks like a file?

That was an attempt at 'can damascus'.........
I had heard of it somewhere and decided to give it a try,
so.....I brought a soup can to welding heat, sprinkles some borax on it, hammered some, folded it over, hammered some more..........

You get the picture........
How was I to know you were supposed to put something in the can!!:)

7534.attach

So here is a picture of my first smithed item, which I just made a few days ago. I'm only about two weeks old in the smithing world, but I can already tell that I'm in for the long haul.

The knife was forged from a RR spike, and this picture was taken after I had worked on it with the bench grinder for a few minutes.

7547.attach