I Forge Iron

SCM415 Steel Quality

Steel_Maker_1995

Hi All,

Can someone tell me if SCM415 steel is the same quality as Grade 8 steel?

I'm looking to order from China and they don't know if it's the same. My customer here in the USA wants Grade 8 or better steel for his product.

Only info China could give me is shown below. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

JIS: SCM415 

AISI: 4115

DIN: 15CrMo5  

C: 0.13 - 0.18 

Si: 0.15 - 0.35

Mn: 0.60 - 0.90

P: <= 0.030

S: <= 0.030

Ni: N/A

Cr: 0.90 - 1.20

Mo: 0.10 - 0.25

Welcome aboard Steel Maker, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll discover who is within visiting distance.

As far as I know "Grade 8" is not a steel designation in the USA. It is a mechanical specification for fasteners: tensile strength, elasticity, etc. but not steel analysis. 

Good luck ordering from China. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It’s funny, I was just reviewing a design standard today due to a quality issue at work and one of the materials listed for an 8.8 bolt was 1017. I was quite surprised a how long the list of acceptable material was. I was particularly looking for specs on a 11.9 bolt, and that grade was more exclusive. It’s not all in the material for making the bolt strength/toughness, much of it is in the processing. (I specifically used 8.8 and 11.9 here, because this is not a specialty of mine and was dealing with metric fasteners. Maybe a different grade standard?)