I Forge Iron

Rebar: can it be forge welded without flux & how weak is the weld?

Enjoyed the videos Joe.  You got some pretty good rebar!  Skillfully welded.  I enjoy watching metal move with a stiker.  A smith with a good striker isn't too far off from a smith with a smaller power hammer.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

when the kettle is full of water no idea of the weight.

What's the capacity of the kettle? Since a pint's a pound the whole world 'round, one gallon is eight pounds. If the pot holds ten gallons, that would be eighty pounds; if twenty, one hundred and sixty.

OK, you have peaked my interest. I just measured the kettle and it's 21 inches in diameter and 13 inches deep. According to a kettle volume calculator (love Google). It will hold 19.49 gallons. That is 156 pounds + the 100 pounds for the kettle for a total weight of 256 pounds. Pretty good for a 3/8 piece of scrap rebar. Here is a close up of the ring.

100_1766-1.thumb.jpg.9f912272511d664c52fb144db3bf171a.jpg

A little bit of extra information when identifying reinforcing steel. If you look closely at your reinforcing steel bar, you will find the so-called (mill) rolling mark of the rolling mill on every so many lengths of the uniform ribs. This can be extra thick ribs, but also raised points or connecting bars between ribs. Each roller brand is unique and represents a specific type of rebar and manufacturer. The material that Joey is working on is called reinforcing steel 500B and is recognizable by its sharply rolled ribs and the longitudinal back lanes. For the (good) material (500B) certified in Europe, take a look at the enclosed PDF with product information (in Dutch).

2019-11-08-betonstaalboekje.pdf