I Forge Iron

Mastermyr axe 61

Hmmmm. Made an ax head. Need an ax to split out an ax handle. . . :huh:

Maybe whittle down a branch with the ax head for a temporary handle to split a finish handle?

I'll bet the name of the viking who solved this quandary by forging his ax with an integral handle was Estwing. :rolleyes: 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thomas, the trick is finding the wrought in a size large enough!  I want to try the hammers with steel faces. 15 pounds of one inch diameter wrought bars went for over 100 dollars on eBay this week!! I have some 1/2 inch wrought bars I’ve been tempted to try and forge weld into a hammer sized billet. 

One of the most satisfying aspects of smithing for me is taking material you have and through welding up or drawing down making what you want.  I have no press or power hammer so at this point forge welding up is easier at least as I approach one inch stock. 

Welding up multiple pieces to make a product would be how it was done. I'm wondering if a V block spring swage would let a person weld four pieces at a time, rather than weld a stack or make multiple welds. That's just me skyballing an idea, I haven't tried it.

I have welded bundles in a swage with good results though.

Frosty The Lucky. 

You are looking at the expensive places and are surprised it isn't cheap?  I'd start looking at country junk stores---when things open up again. The ones with lots of rusty metal piled up around them in the yard.  Remember you are buying scrap metal NOT antiques!

I get mine for 20 cents a pound at the scrapyard. Of course I invest time in hunting it; but without a smartphone or TV I find I have more time to spend.

So far 90% of the tyres I have sourced are WI, often lower grades.   Prices vary wildly, I've been given them free, been charged US$5 a piece, bought them for 20 cents a pound at the scrapyard and have turned down  people wanting $50-$120; just for the rims! (Have an old wheel on CL recently that was falling apart and the seller wanted $450!)

I put a haft on the axe and am surprised.  It’s the most poorly balanced thing I think I’ve ever held. Surprising to me as usually period pieces forms evolved more form follows function. Would be useless for hewing unless struck and cant imagine a more unwieldy weapon unless on a long pole. 

17F433B3-3E7B-4A72-9120-7223760E39AE.jpeg

Maybe it just will take some time to learn the tool. I've made a number of larger Japanese dog head hammers and they sure felt odd to begin with. However, when I finally got a sense of their distinctive feel and the proper arm/wrist movement to get them in motion, they turned out to be incredibly efficient and unusually powerful precisely because of the front-heavy balance. Not much like a regular Western forging hammer, to be sure, but now a mainstay in my arsenal.

I think you are both right.  The book says it was a carpenters axe.  I have done some hewing with broad axes (in fact in my profile pic I am doing just that) and its likely my unfamiliarity with it that makes me think it crap!  A Japanese craftsman might say the same about the finest western push style dovetail saw.   I think the original was struck as it appears to be peened or mushroomed.  Perhaps a 12 year old viking was yelled at by his dad for mistreating it, ha ha.