I Forge Iron

stove and fireplace cement

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Call the local fiberglass or plastic supply. Colloidal / fumed silica is used as a thickener for polyester resin and is what we use as home brew rigidizer.  I just got a couple pages of hits for Plastics in Vegas. From manufacturers to specialty and custom builders and suppliers. A couple phone calls will zero you in.

The one other piece of advice I have is to ask for "HydroPHILLIC" colloidal  silica. You want silica that mixes easily with water, the other kind doesn't like water at all. Colloidal and Fumed are pretty synonymous, the counter guys should know what you're asking for. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

HydroroPHILLIC"

"Hydrophilic", actually.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

the other kind

Which is "hydrophobic". 

We don't normally get too fussy about spelling and grammar here on IFI, but it's occasionally for technical terms. Also, those of us with degrees in Ancient Greek like to show off the fact that we know that those two words mean "water-loving" and "water-fearing", respectively.

Thanks for pointing out the misspelling, I even edited twice and missed it. I did NOT mention the wrong option by name on purpose as it seems to be human nature to remember the WRONG choice. I'm pretty sure "wrong" associates with DANGER in our hind brains so holds a faster track through the amygdala making it more likely to be recalled as the right decision. 

We've even discussed buying the wrong silica and how to work around the mistake. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

And the correct term for ancient Greek term fearing? (Or should we just go clasp cold statues!)

Hellenophobia.

Not to be confused with Helenophobia, which is the fear of people named Helen.

And let's not forget that if Christopher Marlowe was correct that Helen's was "the face that launched a thousand ships", then the smallest unit of beauty is the millihelen: a face that would launch one ship.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Not to be confused with Helenophobia, which is the fear of people named Helen.

Wouldn't that be Helenphobia? THere is no need for a vowel before the ph. You have Cyberphobia for example. Conceded all those long list of something phobia are made up words anyway, and most do have an o before the ph ...  still ... it can lead to confusion unless you refer to people named Heleno ... for example some people have Marcphobia. If you say Marcophobia that would be someone else ... :)