I Forge Iron

A noob looking for direction

So, I'm 23, don't have a lot of money, pretty much no tools to use, and have a burning interest in this craft.  I have procured with my limited budget a railroad tie for an anvil, and a ball peen hammer (for now), and now need a forge.  I have seen so many opinions and options that are all over the place.  Coke/coal and gas forges, what kind of brick, insulation, what kind of burners, what kind of shape..etc, etc.  Eventually, I stumbled upon this awesome website with what seems to be a wealth of knowledge. In my reading of posts like "Forges 101 and Burners 101" I have discovered that I really don't have the context or requisite knowledge to understand these posts.  I kind of don't understand where to start asking questions and google has not helped other than sending me to YouTube and "instructables."  So my question is, what does a beginner like myself do when I can't weld, don't really have any power tools outside of a drill, and am not even sure what a proper design is? More importantly, my biggest question is, where can I begin learning the proper basic knowledge to get a grasp of what is on this form?  I do not want someone to see this and think I am just wanting someone to do the research and summary for me.  I love learning and want to be able to invest into this and do this all correctly.  So what direction do I go to get this boat moving?  Thank you.

To get started:

I like Alexander Weygers "Complete Modern Blacksmith" book; under US$20

Starter forge:  

Starter Anvil: (Don't use a railroad tie the wood is impregnated with creosote!---Perhaps you meant rail?)

I strongly suggest you see if there is an ABANA affiliate near you as actually seeing some of this stuff done can save you MONTHS of floundering on your own when getting started.  You may also want to look at the threads on IFI about making and using your own charcoal as that can be a cheap fuel.  (Not Briquettes; real lump charcoal!)

Welcome aboard, everything Thomas posted will get you started. Reading a lot on this forum will help with terminology (Blacksmith jargon) and how to do this or that. If you haven't already I recommend starting with this thread.   READ THIS FIRST   It will help with all of the forums idiosyncrasies.

Welcome aboard Snazzy, glad to have you. It doesn't take much to start working hot steel. You have a piece of rail, hopefully long enough to mound it on end it'll be much more effective on end than on it's side. 

A smooth faced hammer 32oz. or a little less, ball pein is perfect.

It doesn't take much to build a JABOD forge, hand saw, boards and screws. A length of black iron pipe (unplated plumbing pipe is what's known as black iron pipe) A yard sale blow drier is WAY more than enough blower.  There are hand pump mattress inflators that are excellent at any outdoor / camping section of big box stores. IIRC around maybe under $20. 

A couple cold chisels to cut hot steel, a hack saw to cut cold steel. Vise grips or pliers to hold the chisel on HOT steel saves roasting your hand.

To start use long enough pieces of stock you don't need tongs to hold it.

That should get you started. We'll be here to help reinforce the addiction to the craft.

Definitely get the book Thomas suggested, it's one of the best especially for improvising a smithy with whatever is at hand. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Wow thank you so much guys.  I have been in the process of moving so I just got around to reading all this.  I will be pouring over all that has been said and am gonna find that book and dive into it.  This is a child hood dream of mine and I can’t wait to finally start.  Thank you all so much for the replies! You guys are super supportive! Can’t wait to get addicted, Frosty haha

Go to the hobby store and get a brick of modeling clay.  Anything you can make with the modeling clay, you can make with metal. Modeling clay saves a lot of time and is great for problem solving.