I Forge Iron

PH anvil thoughts

Made a trip to the steel yard, and was offered the friend price if I bought from the scrap pile outside.  Drew this up....

8AAF762B-49E3-4A4D-90F3-EE11EEDC692A-1.j

I'm thinking 12" timbers underneath.  The 2" layer is a 2 by 24 round piece of mild.  The 14 by 7 is round, and the top 6.5 is round.  Total weight minus timbers is the numbers on the right, roughly 650.

Will this be better, worse, or equal to a similar weight of round stock?

Joints, yes.  Haven't decided on bolt together with brackets vs. welding it around the perimeters.  Moveability later is a consideration, as I don't intend to stay in this house forever.

I'm thinking possibly weld the 6.5 to the 14.5, and triangular gussets?  Then bolt the rest?  Heck, IDK, lol.

Sorry, I missed the PH: for a powerhammer I would go monolithic as they get more "bounce" between the pieces.  I have seen PH anvils that use vertically arrayed sections welded , the Iron Kiss did it that way. The idea being that you have 1 interface between the die and the stand and another between the stand and the floor, rather than a bunch of interfaces from horizontally stacked pieces.

Well that all just changed, lol.  I went back out there and found even better options.  I think I'll end up with a 12 by 12 round with a 7.5 by 22 on top.  May put it on one of those 2" plates also.  655 in two pieces without the plate :)

He's giving me a good price.  I'm going to buy everything suitable for PH anvils and flip some of it.  If you can "flip" a 300 pound thingamabob.

Has a 6.5 by 48", 451 lbs. and a whole lot more. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:48 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I've done it; friend got a real good deal on some solid round, over 5" diameter, heavy enough to make treadle hammer anvils, medium carbon steel. I bought 4 and sold 2 for what I paid for 4 and gave one to another friend.

Wow that was a long time ago, Thomas, probably 18 yrs because i was still living in ohio when i got those bars.

Yup and I have been out here 16+ years.  As soon as I get power to my shop and can use the Arc Welder; building that treadle hammer is high on my list!  I have   a 1" thick plate suitable for the base and some I beam for the back---though I recently saw some nice heavy sq tubing at the scrapyard.  I may redesign as I go along. 

Are y'all working up at Scott Forge?  We had been talking about going to Quad-State this year; but it's probably on hold till 2021. (TGLW&TCDR!)

Like most of my projects; they go slowly as I accumulate the needed pieces on the cheap and then: WHOOMP get done.  I'm pushing for more whoomps as I'm getting older.

Lol, I hope I get a whoomp and not a TBI on this project.  So far I've got plenty of anvil material, a 30" circle of 1.75 plate at 350 lbs for a base, and I've purchased a tire and hub assembly.  Have to keep selling knives before I can whoomp.