I Forge Iron

William Hell Bowie

Tim Lively

I made this Bowie for a friend that was in our video, Knifemaking Unplugged. William Hell out of Misery aka Bill Cooper. 

This Bowie is 18 inches overall and forged from 1095 high carbon steel with a 1018 mild steel guard. Brass spacers, steel pins and a walnut handle.

William_Hell_Bowie.jpg

Back around 20? years ago; I was donating platelets for the Red Cross, took over an hour, sometimes way over and they had TVs with video tape players for each station and you could watch a movie while donating.   I brought my copy of the videotape Tim had put out back then and was watching it when my phlebotomist  saw what I was watching and sat down too.  He was from Haiti and told me that just down the street from where he grew up there was a smith that used the same techniques to make the local agricultural tools and knives. He said he used to spend all his free time watching him...

I lent it to a friend; who lent it to someone else whose son burned down their house with it in it.

I think I remember seeing your posts years ago on Ron and Karen Hood's forum CrazyGoatLady, right? Did we meet at the Hoodlum Gathering at Pedernales Falls State Park in Texas? 

I did a video for Ron and Karen Hood before my own DVD came out. Back then they were both on VHS. The Hoods Woods video was titled "Primitive Knife Making" and was Number 9 of their Woodsmaster Series. I made my own a couple years after that titled "Knifemaking Unplugged". Thanks for watching yall! The Knifemaking Unplugged DVD is still available on Amazon. 

No sir, that wasn't me though I wish it had been. I was introduced to you by the folks on this forum right from the start. You have been quite popular here :D I've been talking about conserving propane and Glenn suggested now is the time to build a solid fuel forge. I think I have most of the stuff to build your wash tub forge right now. The only reason I never did was because I was given a gasser and I've used one ever since. But your posts have revived my interest and thankfully, I have much more knowledge than I did at that time. Thank you for the inspiration. 

One of the blessings of my marriage to a Spinster is that she has no urge to own any fiber producing animals, (Hmm she is having me save the brushing out of the cats blowing their winter coats though...). I think being "vacation milker" for a friend's small goat diary for several years helped cement in that it was better to have *friends* with animals than own them yourself!  Now we've always had pets; but generally ones that can be taken on trips with us or easily sat at home.  Why when I worked on the border, I had the cats and she had the dog---any my casita had a fenced in dog yard for when she visited.