I Forge Iron

Wrapped eye Viking style

I have not forged much this past year due to a torn rotator cuff. Been wanting to try a wrapped eye axe for a while. Used 1/2 inch by 2 inch bar, double step downs on the anvil edge forged out the eye wrapped and forge welded. Stuck a piece of 01 in the end.  Wrist is hurting so may not be able to finish for a while. Sure was pleased with the welds, I put a little vinegar on the edge to bring out the color in the picture. 

E187446F-05B6-4C75-848C-DC854FE16ADD.jpeg

7CD0A5E5-BD71-477D-8E9D-ED350ED4477F.jpeg

5E86A861-1D4A-48D0-AA1D-98A6DBE4A65F.jpeg

Coal iron’s little 12 ton press would be nice. A tiny power hammer like Thomas describes can be seen on Christ centered iron works YouTube channel. He sells the plans. It uses the hardy hole and your anvil. 

12 hours ago, Momatt said:

A tiny power hammer like Thomas describes can be seen on Christ centered iron works YouTube channel.

That little power hammer is cool, but I don't remember if I seen it working. I am kinda skeptical about what it would really be good for except as a cool conversation piece. 

Pnut