I Forge Iron

Blacksmiths in Kansas

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI. There are several members from around that area. You came to the right place to find them too. Browse around here, look at the blueprints and the gallery. There are things especially in the blueprint sections that can help you acquire more skills. This you can do while you wait for someone in your area to come through. Also, join the blacksmith groups in your area/state. There are meetings going on somewhere nearly every weekend, some will be closer than others to attend of course, but you get to meet some awesome people at these meetings. Also a good source of locating any tools you may need. Once again, welcome. (someone will show up soon, I'm sure)

Here is the local guild that is in your state, you might want to contact them. Not sure where you are in Kansas so I gave surrounding states also.

GREAT PLAINS BLACKSMITH ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 17613, Wichita, KS 67217

Pres: Patrick Briggs
12375 SW 200th
Douglass, KS 67039
(316) 747-2659
jaelynbriggs@sbcglobal.net

Ed: Rob Fertner
4309 Memory Lane
Wichita, KS 67212
(316) 942-3755
rfertner@cox.net

Great Plains Blacksmith Association

BLACKSMITH ASSOCIATION of MISSOURI
Pres: Kirk Sullens
2300 N. East Ave.
Springfield, MO 65803
(417) 863-8628
kirk@kirksullens.com

Ed: Robert Ehrenberger
6192 Hwy 168
Shelbyville, MO 63469-2527
(573) 633-2010
bameditor@centurytel.net

Blacksmiths Association of Missouri

PRAIRIE BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION
Pres: Donald Stanley
4020 W. 13th Street
Grand Island, NE 68803-2912
(308) 382-5500
dstanley@cccusa.net

Ed: Francis Belohlavy
3015 Orchard
Lincoln, NE 68503
(402) 477-4337
fvb@unl.edu

Prairie Blacksmiths Association

ROCKY MOUNTAIN SMITHS
Pres: Craig May
1498 Mount Evans Blvd.
Pine, CO 80470-5012
(303) 838-2619
drgnfrgltd@aol.com

Ed: Kalah May
PO Box 1736
Bailey, CO 80421
(303) 838-2619
kalahforgefacts@aol.com

Rocky Mountain Smiths, Colorado Blacksmiths

SALTFORK CRAFTSMEN ARTIST BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION
Pres: Jim Carothers
9501 Frontier
Perry,OK 73077
(405) 336-9213
colonel@fullnet.net

Ed: Diana Davis
Rt. 1, Box 1105
Fletcher, OK 73541
(580) 549-6824
lazyassforge@tds.net

Saltfork Craftsmen Artist Blacksmiths Association

As a matter of fact, the Central States Metal Artisans (formerly Great Plains Blacksmith Assn) meets the first sat of the month usually at the Haysville shop. However the Aug meeting is at Goessel and is a public demo for the Threshing Days. Typically on Mon eve the shop is open for members to use (feel free to stop by).
They have a website
Great Plains Blacksmith Association
The site is a couple months behind but I think the link to the newsletter is up to date.

I see you list Moran as your location which is about 130 miles to Haysville

ron

• 3 years later...

Hey, y'all, please give me a holler when you have something going on. I live in Augusta. Can't make the next meeting, as I'll be in Kearney for the next week. If anyone out there has some coal for sale, please give me a holler.

The Central States Metal Artisans has (or will have again soon) coal for sale. I believe somewhere between $150 and $200 a ton you load (it is stored on a members land in Maize). Looking at the last newletter I have, coal is the remains of the last order and means sifting from the dirt at a price of 2 1/2 cents a pound. They buy coal from N.E. Oklahoma when they need more in bulk.
The August meeting is always Goesel Threshing Days. The above link is still good although now you have to email and ask where the meetings are. I've let my membership lapse so can no longer let you know what is happening.

Ron

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Old Cowtown Museum in Wichita is supposed to have a working blacksmith at their shop.

Yes, Old Cowtown does have a working smithy.  It could be a great place to ask questions.  The information on the Central States Metal Artisans infor listed above is another excellent source for information.  Like Ron/Son_of_Bluegrass, I too have let my membership lapse so I can't give much in the way of updated information. 

Plus, by seeing the dates that everyone has posted I am also a bit behind on this thread.