I Forge Iron

Is this a good anvil to buy?

Hi,

I am new to blacksmithing and I have been looking for an anvil to get and it is proving to be difficult. However I have just came across this anvil selling for £200 and I was hoping someone could inform on if it would be a good anvil to purchase and what exactly the markings mean.

It seems to have a "57" with an arrow pointing up and "John Brooks 1940" and after some research on here it seems like that is a good brand of anvil.

Thank you in advance.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

John Brooks anvils are very good ones from all I have read. The arrow is a military acceptance mark, usually called a Broad Arrow. It was made in 1940 and appears to be in excellent condition. If it passes the ring & rebound test, I wouldn't hesitate in getting it. If it weighs close to 100 pounds, $259 U.S. the price seems very reasonable to me.

The piece of rail I have definitely weighs more. I figured it out a while back but don't remember the exact weight. Somewhere around 109 or 115 lbs. It has a smaller face to Work on but there's 29 and 1/2 inches of steel under that tiny little face. It moves metal just fine and cost $0.00 so the price was right. I would like to have a little anvil like that one though for hardy tools and the horn but not for that price. I don't know if they deliver to where the op is located but one of those 30kg accacio Anvils would be cheaper and heavier.

Edit: 111.44 lbs 

Pnut

• 2 weeks later...