I Forge Iron

Jackstands

Hey 
Made these tall jackstands the other day for working on cars. They are not quite done yet but the bases are complete. I made a couple jigs so they all turned out the same and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. They are made out of sch 80 seamless pipe some 1"×1/4" flatbar and 3/16" plate. Finished they will be adjustable from 15" to 22". Let me know what you think.

20200119_095404.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photo.

Excellent...probably worth sandblasting and powder coating because they'll be around for your great-great grandkids to use.

What hole diameter and pin were you planning on for the riser? Since that's the weak point on these (being built like a tank),  I was curious what your plan was for those cross pins.

Powder coat can get chipped or dinged and can not be repaired easily. Water gets undeer the power coat and starts to rust, progressively popping off more and more of the power coat. 

Suggest you sandblast, prime and paint.  Any chip or ding can be covered with paint and your protected again.

17 hours ago, Glenn said:

Powder coat can get chipped or dinged and can not be repaired easily. Water gets undeer the power coat and starts to rust, progressively popping off more and more of the power coat. 

Suggest you sandblast, prime and paint.  Any chip or ding can be covered with paint and your protected again.

Yea I think I will bead blast them at work and prime and paint the bases. The sliding top section will have to be just bare metal and polished up otherwise i think they will bind because the 1 1/2" pipe in the 2 " is a pretty tight fit. The pins will be 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I might try to mill a ball detent with a set screw into the bolt pins but I'll see how that works out. The sheer strength of a 1/2" gr 8 bolt on a tight fit like that should be quite a bit, actually probably stronger than the legs. Anyways.  thanks guys.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Kozzy said:

Excellent...probably worth sandblasting and powder coating because they'll be around for your great-great grandkids to use.

What hole diameter and pin were you planning on for the riser? Since that's the weak point on these (being built like a tank),  I was curious what your plan was for those cross pins.