I Forge Iron

Go to class or wait?

Just wondering what experienced bladesmiths think on this.  There are a couple of forges within a reasonable drive offering knife forging/making classes.  They range from single day to several days.    I'm trying to determine if this would be worth the cost for someone who has never made a knife or forged any metal?  Should I actually get some practice forging before going to such a class?  Are these relatively short classes really worth the cost?  Assuming they have some value, my thoughts are to perhaps attend one this winter as I won't be making a forge or setting up my own shop until spring (and yes, there is some excited desire to be able to try it without having to wait until next spring).

I definitely think a person gets much more out of a bladesmithing class with a good smithing background. I would also suggest not attending one until you are ready to put what you learn into practice.  Taking the test months after you took a class never worked very well  in school.

Can you attend any ABANA Affiliate meetings?  I know that PABA is in western PA and they might be able to direct you to someone local.

Steve, the ones I looked at are designed specifically for the beginner or someone that has never forged previously...or so they say.  It sounded good, but as I think about it, a day or two is an awfully short time frame to produce a knife, especially for someone that has never done it before.  I'll pass on it for now.  I'm just going to have to be patient and wait for spring unless I manage to get with a group in my local area over the winter. 

Having taken and then taught classes I would recommend you at least learn the basic skill of tapering before taking a knife making class.  A single day class in basic smithing from a  good school will give you direction in heat management, hammering technique, tong use and, hopefully, tapering and bending hot steel.  Having these skills will make a weekend knifemaking class much more approachable.  Blade blank forging from reasonable stock is basically  just isolating material and making a bunch of controlled tapers.  The devil is in the details, as they say.

A single day knifemaking class for a rank beginner is going to be more of an "experience"  than a true learning session in my opinion unless you are some kind of savant at metalworking.  Learning how to properly heat treat a high carbon blade, and why each step is done, is at least a full day class (I've taken a 3 day class in this from Kevin Cashen, and still have plenty to learn).  That doesn't even include forging a blank, profiling, grinding bevels and handle making.

I think there are 2 smithing groups in western PA- PAABA ( Pittsburg area artist blacksmith assoc) and  Oil City (Not sure the full name). PABA tends to trend to the east- central area. I think also that next June sometime the PA groups will have a joint meeting at Center for Metal Arts in Johnstown. Find a way to get involved.

Steve

Aha, Oil Valley Blacksmiths Association.  Found them in an article of the Titusvile Herald.  Titusville is only about 30 mins north of me.  It seems they go up there to do demonstrations once a month during spring/summer.  All three of the towns you mention above are within 30 minutes to maybe a little over an hour from me.  They don't have a website though.  Hmm, I'm an IT guy by profession and I've done plenty of web work.  Maybe they might want one!