I Forge Iron

Vulcan 144# anvil

Did I make a mistake? I bought my first ever anvil and it is a 144# Vulcan. Reading thru all of the brand reviews in the anvil section, I found no reviews about Vulcan anvils. One asked a guestion about what a number on a leg might mean, but no reviews.

I paid $175 for the anvil and I see no flaws , the edges on the top have no chips, the bench has some nicks. The horn is good. The only chips it has are at the 1" hardy hole, but they are only about 1/8-3/32 down into the hole, the rest is good. The top is flat and the edges have what I think is like new rounded edges.

The guy I bought it from said it was 160+ pound, but I weighed it on my shipping platform digital scale and it weighs 143.6#.

Did I do OK or was I given a HUGO at a VW price?

I don't even have a stand made yet, but I'll try to get a picture of it. Right now it is setting on the wooden floor in my over crowded shop. I plan to build a blacksmith shop off the back of my shop next year. Thinking 14x14, maybe up to 14x22. The new shop will have a base of crusher run limestone base and will be topped with 3-4" stone dust. That packs well with some moisture and a plate packer.

I know it would be better, but being retired, on SS and a small pension I need to be practical. I'm 73 and don't plan to do this full time, just a hobby. Besides, I'm thinking 14x14 may help be good reason not to buy (or make) too many uses for more space.

On this property I already have a 16x24 sugarhouse, a 14x28 work shop, 2- 10x10 storage barns, a 10x12 and a 12x12 storage sheds. If I was 15-20 years younger I'd likely build a 24x36 blacksmith shop but at my age reality sets in.

It sounds like you did pretty good. If it's in as good as shape as you say. If the rebound is at least 70 percent I would be dancing around it in a fit of joy. You don't see anvils for less than two and a half dollars a pound and usually much more if they're in good shape around my neck of the woods. My advice about the building is go as big as you can afford. You will be able to fill it up no matter how big it is.

Pnut

• 1 month later...

That’s sounds like a good deal indeed. Some guy here in LA is selling an 85lb Vulcan for $375 and he’s not willing to talk on the price. I tried to go see it he lives like 45 mi inland, and I tried to meet him a Saturday morning, and his answer was...”I don’t do mornings”, lol. I guess deep inside he does not want to sell it.