I Forge Iron

Kitchen Sink Forge

Epicnoob

I’ve seen varying opinions on making a forge with a sink but it’s what I have so I’m gonna use it. My questions are, what can I do for an ash dump in it? Would it be better to blow the air up into it or build a dirt “bed” then put air through the side of it? Last, if it’s easier to blow the air through the drain port how do I build that up? Do I just put dirt/clay on the sides and a pile of coal in the middle? Thanks

I think filling it with clay rich soil and making a side blast would be the simplest option. I have a jabod and I'm happy with it. It does everything I need it to do. I thought about using a sink myself.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Either bottom blast or side blast will work fine if you make it to work fine. ;)

Just thinking about a sink shape you may need to either build up the clay higher or cut a passthrough so stock can get to the sweet spot in the fire. 

One way or another you might need to cut or drill the sink. 

What fuel are you planning to use?

2 hours ago, Epicnoob said:

don’t really have anyway to cut a hole in the sink.

If it's steel you can cut it with a cold chisel or drill a bunch of little holes around a circle you draw on the sink with a marker and knock or chisel it the rest of the way off.

Pnut

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome to IFI... Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

No I have not. I thought I was gonna post this and not get a reply. But this community seems awesome. 

1 hour ago, Daswulf said:

So do you mean lump "charcoal" or coal? 

I think I mean coal. The farm supply store said they only had lump coal and didn’t have “nut and stove” coal? It was $.20 a pound if that helps.

1 hour ago, pnut said:

You could use an old dresser drawer or pretty much anything that will hold dirt to make a jabod. Mine is made out of a night stand a hotel was getting rid of. Screw together a box out of wood. It's easier to drill.

Pnut

I’m just “borrowing” an old sink from my father in law. It’s just what have. I don’t have a good junk pile yet haha.

I think you are going to be getting anthracite coal. It's going to be tough to keep lit with a hand cranked blower. Anthracite likes constant air. More air when you're heating up stock and a little bit of air to keep it going when you're at the anvil. If it's anthracite you're going to be getting you may want to think about charcoal or find a place you can get bituminous coal.

Pnut

After doing more research I might just get the sink and start a junk pile with it. Could be a quench tank or something. I just bought a house and there’s a handful of junk in the basement and some that’s outside I can scrounge through and see if it’ll work. I know I have an old furnace door I might could use as a bed for the coal. 

For a coal bottom blast I use 2" black pipe for the "t" of my bottom blast forge. I could share my exact design if you really wanted, it's proven. If you built right you are good. With a side blast and coal, yes you will have to dig out the junk once in a while but same with a bottom blast really. Start with a "known to work" design and improve from there. 

17 hours ago, Epicnoob said:

Why don’t you need an ash dump for a side blast? Doesn’t it have to go somewhere? 

The tuyere is above the floor of the  firepot so the ash collects below the air supply. If it gets above it I turn the air up and blow them out. With coal you have to clean the clinker out though.

Pnut