I Forge Iron

My favorite shop tool

Matt Marti

Recently purchased a Viking Shot Blaster with a tumble basket. It removed the job of sand blasting and wire wheeling the tools I make. The largest batch of hammers I have done right after forging is 30 and that took fifteen minutes. That batch is whats in the photo. Their is a 7 1/2 hp motor that flings the steel shot upwards onto the tumbling hammers. It will find it self into all the crevices and cracks easily.

1170823806_removalday.thumb.jpg.63f0e241a16e8b9d7a7f5929dd712631.jpg

shotblaster.thumb.jpg.03cea29445da195be96ba24a12a36ad8.jpg

beforeshotblaster.jpg

aftershotblasting.jpg

The shot blaster we had used a rubber belt to tumble the parts as the shot was flung down from above. There was a small conveyor that transported the shot up to the wheel. I believe that was even the name Wheel-a-brator. The one you have looks like the ones automotive machine shops use for heads.

We had to move a piece of equipment across the shop one time and a coworker got the great idea to get a cup of the steel blasting shot and toss it under the machine and along the floor. It was like it was on wheels with all of those tiny ball bearings under it. Very easy to move.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:46 AM, Glenn said:

You are going to like that machine. It will save you both time and money.  

Just be cautious of the dust being produced. NOT for use on zinc, galvanized or other type materials. 

I love it. Saves both that hand a lot of hand work. You can tell the dust is grossly fine. Not interested in breathing it. 

On 9/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

The shot blaster we had used a rubber belt to tumble the parts as the shot was flung down from above. There was a small conveyor that transported the shot up to the wheel. I believe that was even the name Wheel-a-brator. The one you have looks like the ones automotive machine shops use for heads.

We had to move a piece of equipment across the shop one time and a coworker got the great idea to get a cup of the steel blasting shot and toss it under the machine and along the floor. It was like it was on wheels with all of those tiny ball bearings under it. Very easy to move.

The rubber belt machines replaced what i have which is considered simply as a "tumble basket" shot blaster. I wanted one of the rubber belt but the price was right for this unit. This came out of a shop that rebuilt starters and alternators. 

On 9/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Chris The Curious said:

Wow, Matt, that thing did a good job.  That should save you lots of hours of cleanup time.  Worthwhile purchase.

Mr Viking does a great job. It definitely will.