I Forge Iron

Ok I know that this has not been up that long but I was searching through the archives reading old posts an there was a first project that was heavely critised. I am planning on making another fire rake to trade at the August blacksmith guild of virginia meeting and I dont want to trade an unsitely piece. ( yes I am being self consious) I would like critisizim on this. It is only through learning our flaws that we can uncover our perfection. So I would like to know honestly what you think good or bad. What would you do to improve it? Thanks in advance :)

Justin, Think of how the tool will be used, it is a hook/scoop for dragging coal or coke to the fire. To that end, you would need a 3/4 to 1 inch flat section of metal in the form of a J or L (think of the alphabet JKL), or a blend of the two shapes. The amount of material you can or wish to drag to the fire would determine the size of the hook.

The material at the end of the hook is unusable as it is not moving material and is your opportunity to show some artistic ability. For instance split the bar in half, taper the split sections into points and make a small heart being sure it is no wider than the parent stock.

As to the rest of the tool, the handle should fit comfortable into the users hand and the orientation of the handle should make the tool easy to use. You will find that the tool can be made left or right handed, or made for use in either hand.

Your artistic ability can be used between the handle and the hook to decorate the tool, such as twists.

All of this is well within the ability of a beginner as a first project. DO NOT think that a first project is just one piece of metal that must be completed in one forge session. A first project is the assembly of parts, many practice tries at the hook to determine size and shape, many practice tries at splitting stock, practice at tapering that stock and then practice at forming the tapers into a heart. You then choose one style handle from several different style handles that you have tried to make, with many practice tries. When you choose the individual parts and processes and assemble them all into one piece of steel do you have a sample to go by. The sample is not the first project, it is just that, a sample to see that everything goes together as you wanted. Make the changes needed and then either make another sample or make your FIRST PROJECT.

My suggestion is to make two, one for you and one for the Guild meeting. You will need that tool at your forge just as much as the fellow that buys/bids on it. Oh yes, you did remember to put your touchmark on the tool, didn't you? (grin).

My comments about the heart at the end were based on not using my scoop as a poker to punch the fire or drag clinker out of the fire. If the blacksmith uses the tool in this manner, a point or other style would be much better.

I placed a point on the business end so I could just that glenn also it helps me clear the air holes in the tueyere. I that end was also spread to about 3/4" to alow more surface area to drag/push coal into the fire. I origonaly did not make it artistic becuase it took me 4 hours to make just that with a 3# hammer which about killed my arm (well between the hammer and crank blower). I didn't even think about continuing to work on it till you said something :).

That's a good bit of work for a beginning project and pretty well done too.

That is one of my favorite shapes for a fire tool be it a forge, fireplace or wood stove.

A convenient way to hang it at the forge is good too. When I make handles like your's I leave it open so it's a big shallow hook. I also flatten, widen and curve (across the material so it's smoother in the hand) the handle section for a more comfortable grip.

The finial at the end of the folded over handle is often a reverse scroll or fish tale but a heart would be very nice as well.

For the business end I like it spread to 3/4-1" with a point, short and sharp for wood and longer and blunter for a forge, as it needs to be able to fit into the air grate to clear debris.

Frosty