I Forge Iron

Old Legvise ID

Honey

Looks to be a good deal, the screw looks to be in excellent condition. How does it turn, move smoothly, retract on it's own? 

It'd be forged, cast wouldn't survive being beaten on with hammers, you can see hammer marks on the jaws. The pitting is from long time rust, nothing to worry about, the screw, pin and box were probably covered in grease.

Good score Honey! 

Ease up on the number of pictures please: one of each side, one of the screw can include the top of the jaws and show how straight the leg is. There are a lot of members who have dial up connections and pay for minutes but like to look at the pics too. It's a bandwidth conservation thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah thanks :) ! Will keep that in mind for future.   I'll be picking it up sometime soon, haven't touched it in person yet. Screw looks nice and clean which is lucky. I assume because it is so clean, that the vise and free of rust is because was in a closed position, which would mean the vise opens and closes as its open here on the picture.

Atleast thats my first guessing. Thanks for all the info xx <3 Very excited about this find. I'll update this space when I get it in the house and i'll let you know how well it opens / closes.

It's been cleaned up and oiled and being open only means the owner was ABLE to  move it, you want free and smooth movement. Don't worry if the jaws don't match when closed, they don't normally, they get sprung easily if you put a piece in one side. The jaws are easy to straighten if you need them to be.  

The handle and leg look straight so it probably hasn't seen a hard life which is a good indicator.

Only a little light oil on the screw, heavy oil or grease tends to collect grit and crud you don't want in the screw box.

Oh, after running it through the converter I see 39 GBP comes out to 48.50 USD. Good score!

Frosty The Lucky.

You did very well indeed, as long as the screw box isn't stripped and looking at the screw, I doubt that it is.

When you post pictures you can double click on them and a pop up box opens that will let you resize them. I use 500 for the width and tab over for the height which will be selected automatically. I imagine one of the moderators will resize these for you, because the edit function only lasts for 30 min.

:) opens and closes no trouble. 

Can hold a piece of paper without it sliding out. Light isn't shining through the teeth either. All lines up even. Very very happy with it.

Tempted to leave it in same condition? Originally was gunna brush off what I could then use that rust converter but now i'm not sure.

Do you guys reckon this could use some rust converter?

67262631_1378223228995692_9038298447211397120_n.jpg

67277874_1378223468995668_1642060185893601280_n.jpg

67613522_1378223068995708_6560142582737797120_n.jpg

Well Done!  (for where I am at.)   Please rotate the screw box so that the ridge fits into the slot for---it It makes me nervous to see them displayed that way as I've seen a number of them where an owner jammed the ridge into the side of the vise damaging it.

I'd leave the patina and perhaps wipe it down with boiled linseed oil. Will it be out in the weather a lot?

Hey there Thomas, in that last picture where its in the house is the screw box right?  In the original pictures I thought it was off too, so I spun it round until it sat in there nice.

Hmm just spoke with the BF who will be using this, he said he will have an indoor forge starting next march hopefully. So looks like itll be living indoors.

I have the rust converter on hand, reckon I should leave it and just use boiled linseed oil?

Thanks! :)  I'm happy its a good one. Not sure on the make yet but I see no signs at all this was ever repaired via welding or any of the like. Looks like it was used lightly for all its years, not even the bar is bent.

Here is condition of screw. Looks like the entire thing was sent out of factory and never used?? I see no wear at all on the edges of the screw Nor any dull spots or missing chunks or chips or cracks or any sign of welding anywhere on the entire thing. Very odd.

The jaws are 4inch exactly, the length is 40 inches tall and its about 44.5lbs so roughly 21kg

What do you guys think ? Is this a Peter Wright or somthin else? 

67333268_1378697105614971_4321767921991811072_o.jpg

The screwbox doesn't look like a PW to me; but it could be a replacement.

There were literally hundreds of different vise manufacturers/resellers and over the last century and a half a lot of piece parts have been mixed up too, (The Sears Roebuck catalogues from the early 1900's list replacement screws/screwboxes as orderable items.)

Ah thanks! Hmm Yeah i'm lookin for some sort of sign on it. Cant see anything just yet.   along the main leg I saw a strange giant oval shape which I thought could be the outline of a makers mark but it wasnt symetrical at all.

Found it in Warrington England, so I'd assume its some English make as there are quite a few makers here. The legs have the edges filed down as a form of decoration, there are some shoulders just before this starts too which are purely decorative.

Also the entire vise used to be a dark red, probably quite a long time ago as the paint is under the patina.