I Forge Iron

Twisting Square tubing

I've got an idea for a candle holder upright from square tubing by cutting the tubing on the diamond into the corners, leaving some of the metal in the center of each tube wall between corners and tried to twist. However, each cube I had cut from the corners twisted off or the tube collapsed. Has any one tried twisting square tubing? Any hints on how to accomplish this? I was using an acetylene torch and will try a more uniform hotter heat in the forge eventually when I get time.
Thanks

Dan, if you fill with sand then as you twist all the sand falls out the slits that were cut in the tubing. Glenn's idea will work, just don't twist too tight against the rd. stock.
Wayne, IIRC, the UMBA DVD shows twist square tubing that has not been cut like mentioned above.
Can't wait to see the end result of your idea EC!

Twist your tubing before you cut to length, insert a rod of appropriate size with an eye bent on one end into the tubing before twisting, then twist the tube and twist it at least a quarter turn more than needed, untwist the quarter turn and it will free up the round mandrel slightly to fascilitate its removal. I learned the hard way too.

Hope this helps.

thought I'd throw my 2 cents out here.
Filling with sand seems to be the easiest technique. I've twisted up to 2 in. tube with this method(Twisted cold, with a Landis 4" pipe threader). The only thing I'd add was that the ends were plugged to keep the sand from falling out while twisting. This method also works great for bending any kind of hollow material.
AND I've done some very interesting twists using the Solid rod in the center approach. Here's a shot of a very even twist with solid fill.
IM000061.JPG

I've also got a sample twist in the shop that looks more like "curtain material" bunched up on a rod than twisted metal. I'll have to take a pic of it to add to this thread. THE only thing different about this twist....the solid fill was 1/2" threaded rod.
100_1061.JPG

AND.......one other thing.....I've gotten some REALLY cool elements by UNtwisting .......twisted tube. To the point that it "comes apart" at the seam.
These untwisted tubes have a very Organic look to me.
100_1063.JPG

so I incorporated them into this aquarium stand, but I've got to many images in this post to include it. I have the aquarium stand posted in my gallery folder, FWIW.

The untwisted "element" was discovered by accident.......:) Happy accident.

Edited by ornametalsmith

I've got an idea for a candle holder upright from square tubing by cutting the tubing on the diamond into the corners, leaving some of the metal in the center of each tube wall between corners and tried to twist. However, each cube I had cut from the corners twisted off or the tube collapsed. Has any one tried twisting square tubing? Any hints on how to accomplish this? I was using an acetylene torch and will try a more uniform hotter heat in the forge eventually when I get time.
Thanks

I think some have missed a KEY element in the original post, and that is EC wants to Cut the tubing on the diamond into the corners FIRST and THEN TWIST. If you cut then fill with sand, plug both ends, heat, then twist....well I'm almost certain the sand will come out of the cut areas when twisted. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think EC is trying to do something with tubing like you can do with solid square and the 'cube twist'. Right? The cut parts of the tubing will not twist as much (if any) and the 'uncut' portions will twist giving you a different look to the twist. I TOTALLY agree with the filling of sand IF you do not cut the tube before twisting. Sand filling is a tried and true technique for twisting or bending hollow pieces to prevent collapse.
Are we going to see pictures soon?? :)

Thanks for the replies. Thomas dean is right, I'm hoping to try and cut it first so the holes open up a bit so the sand method won't work for that. Maybe the round rod will work. Hopefully I'll get some time in the shop this weekend. I have an hour commute back to the farm so weeknights don't leave much shop time around other work.
@ Ornamental smith: Those twists give me some more ideas too. Now I'm going to have to work even harder on the farm to get time to try and incorporate them into a project too :mad::rolleyes:

EC,
Let us know how it works out for you. I'm intrigued by your idea. I'm also skeptical that it'll work. On the cube twist with solid stock you're relying on material in the center of the bar to hold the peice together. At least on the few I've done it seems that the edges where you left it uncut at the corners tear a little bit, and they're supported by the intact center of the bar whereas tubing will have no center support? Unless it ends up being a very gentle twist... At any rate, I can't wait to see what you come up with.