I Forge Iron

Vise i'm looking at, waiting on response to jaw size the screw box looks off

Nigiel

Was contacted today about this vise and it looks pretty big and the jaws look really nice, I don't know much about these types of vises but I thought there was knob like thing supposed to be above where it mounts. Can any one bring light to this situation and tell me if you think something's wrong with it. 

0.jpeg

0-1.jpeg

Need a picture from the back of the vise to see what's going on with the screwbox.Also one of the screw thread.  Rather looks to me like a fairly tight thread on it and so may be a replacement.  If done well still a decent vise.

When looking through my shop today I noticed I had the screw and receptacle from a vise on an inside pile just in case I ever wanted to build a vise. As I recall the vise was busted up but the screw & receptacle were good and so I paid the dollar for them at the scrapyard. 

haven't been lucky as to find a vise at the scrapyard, ill ask the guy selling it to respond with pictures of the screw and the screw box, ill post them here if the guy selling ever gets back to me about it.

As I wrote the last message the seller responded to my previous message with more photos some have a closer view of the screw 

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

Yeah i think i'm going to turn him down, he's asking 185 and for something that has a replacement screw thats way too much just the other day someone offered a 4 inch with nothing wrong and for a lot less.

thanks for the advice

• 1 year later...

just bought one like this one! showed up 2 days ago. mine has a full length leg. not as rusty but no spring, screw and box nut. what caught my eye when i got it is the hole in the legs is not round or have a teardrop shape in the older forged ones. like this one , it has holes that have square sides, rounded top, v shaped bottom with a key for the tab on the nut box. I have both sides of the pipe jaws, one was held with a square headed bolt and nut, the other with a nail that was bent over. paid just over $200. a third of the cost was the shipping.  mine weighs in at 65 pounds so would be more with the screw and nut. I think I got a GREAT DEAL!!!! prices here are crazy in the NW and getting one from the midwest or great plains states run 2-3 times what i paid due to shipping. ANY IDEAS WHO MAKES IT???????   the other thing that caught my attention was the pivot plates were welded in the middle of the leg and not along the back side. the weld splatter was never cleaned off from manufacturing. there are no markings on mine anywhere. It is "new" as it is drop forged and the pipe jaws appear to be cast but I have not started to clean it up and do a spark test on them. the mount is plain plate steel with a U retaining bolt. don't know why the bottom of the post is so pitted or the pivot area.20200726_083852.thumb.jpg.a3c368f9f51d32b467654cc2785107c6.jpg