I Forge Iron

Quench oil questions.

So I've seen some old posts about quench oil but I was wondering if anyone knows if and what kind of places might sell 22 gallon or 55 gallon drums. I saw a 55 gallon drum of gulf super quench on Google for $520. 

I'm more than likely not gonna try and get anything that big soon unless it's convenient and I have the extra money at the time. Just one of those things I want to know how to acquire when it's needed. 

I read somewhere on here talking about being able to get drums of chevron quench oil "back in the day" so I'm not sure how long ago. I can't seem to find any oil suppliers via google, maybe I'm not using the right key words. 

All in all it would just be nice having a big old container of quench oil. 

Depending on the steel, commonly available oils are adequate and probably much cheaper.  Do you plan on doing production smithing or professional bladesmithing?

Unless you run across a can't pass it up deal I'd probably just get some canola or similar.

I searched "steel quenchant for sale" and got a bunch of hits. Acculube looked the most promising. Also Brownells sells quench oil. 

Pnut (Mike)

Alright, for now I'm not doing anything professional. I don want to get into making knives because I think they would be fairly easy to sell in my area. Overall I want to do general all around stuff. 

Fo doing knives though, say a good common knife steel like 1095 or something like that, would vegitable oil or canola be good a sufficent?

i guess mainly I'm wanting to know where to get that much at once, whether actual quench or even vegi oil. Cause whatever I buy it's always cheaper in bulk. 

Also tools, gotta start learning to make some good smithing tools as well. 

For 1084 and 80crv2, peanut, canola, mineral, frying, and veggie oil all work fine. Probably can find them at a big store like Costco or maybe Walmart or Meijer. Plus those steels are very forgiving and easy to work with. Probably can get away with the 1095 if that’s all you have available.

Pr3ssure, check Walmart or other big box stores. They sell big jugs of oil for deep fryers. Maybe even a McDonald's if you know someone who works there you could maybe get free oil. You'd have to filter it though.

Pnut (Mike) 

It'll smell like fries when you quench your stock. Mmmmm fries

Mom and pop restaurants would be a good source for fryer oil, as they have to pay to get rid of it. Asian restaurants usually use peanut oil. This chart shows when different oils start to smoke-the more refined the higher the smoke point. I didn't see a flash point chart which would show how hot they can get before catching fire.  Where I work now (snack cracker plant)we go through several 55 gallon drums of safflower, olive, or sunflower oil a day depending on which product we are running. At the end of the run the oil left in the machines is drained and disposed of due to the flavorings in it. So if you have any food manufacturing places around that do fried items or flavor coated, you might be able to source some there too.  

image.thumb.png.2f35017496c9e0ca25957e8738277883.png