I Forge Iron

Idea for homemade anvil

OK this is my suggestion if had you two pieces. Now mind you I am not a professional at anything but farming. Farmers have to deal with different problems all the time, and sometimes that means getting creative. The measurements in the picture are proximate, for you have two pieces 19 and 1/2" Long. I would cut off a 11" piece for the horn, cut the other one to 16" and add the 3 1/2" chunk to the left over 8 1/2" piece. Of course this will not be a full penetration weld, that being under the horn part, I don't see too much i'll effects.

Then weld up all joints and cut and shape the horn to your desired taste. Most of your forging will probably be done on the long 16-inch piece, and longer is better, so again I wouldn't worry about the full penetration weld. You could get creative, and take that piece of 1 3/4" plate and make you a shoe on the back of it with a Hardy hole, then build up some gussets under it. I believe it would work for its intended purpose till you can find something better. And if you wanted to build it all up on top and make a flat face you can do that too

20190426_165310.jpg

Just my 2 cents here. All of my anvils have horns on them, but I rarely use the horn on my anvils.....so do I really need one? No, I don't. I do scrolling off the face of the anvil. Think about what you would want a horn for? Could those uses be accomplished with just some simple tooling?

Look at anvils around the world, especially third world countries, and look at their anvils. Many times they are a simple shaft stuck in the ground. You want mass under the hammer, and the face only needs to be as big or slightly bigger than the hammer face. Going sideways is not a good option as it spreads the mass away from the hammer blow. All of this sounds like what you already have. I would mount the one with the flat on the upper end to allow other tooling to be clamped when needed. The point end I would make a base that could hold it horizontally or vertically. The point would make an excellent fuller for drawing smaller stock out when vertical, or heavier stock when laid sideways.

As to the old breaker.... power hammer ideas are going through my head.