I Forge Iron

A sideblast fire pot

Arthur210

For most of my forging, my stock is smaller than 1/2" as well.

I burn about 1 kg of charcoal per hour of forging. It takes a bit more when I work with larger stock (take more heat) or if my work sessions are short (getting to an even fire and some wasted fuel at the end of the session).

• 1 year later...

I am thinking of modifying my welded fire pot to a side blast, but was wondering how the thicker steel plate has been lasting?

My fire pot is welded from half inch mild steel, and even with two years as a bottom blast forge it shows zero signs of distortion, but with a side blast that might not be the case, or am I worrying for nothing?

Don't want to cut up my fire pot and then find out I messed up.

I don't have a picture handy, but after 3 years the plate has warped some. The far weld has popped as a result and I have a small gap between it and the previous plate. Still working wel despite the warp.

The half-inch plate also shows signs of corosion and some burning, which is understandable since this is the point where the air comes into contact with the charcoal, but not enough to be a concern.

The other sides of the pot show very little wear.

(Edit: I'll try to take a picture tonight when I get home from work.)

Thank you! I spent last night modifying my bottom blast to a side blast, and also upgraded my air supply by having a proper valve. Funny enough I realized most of my issues previously over the last 3 years were due to poor air control.

I have forged about 2 hours last night and another 3 tonight local time and so far I am extremely happy with the side blast. Have found very little clinker compared to previously forging with a bottom blast. I forge only with anthracite as that is all that is available.

I am curious how the plate will hold up in my forge over the next year or so, planning to forge most nights as far as possible and will see what the damage is over time.