I Forge Iron

1844 William Foster Anvil , advice needed

I have the opportunity to buy this anvil, William Foster 1844 weight around 110 lbs, has a funny little shelf about half way up the side.

I have no experience, and do not know if this is something worth using or should it not be used.

I am mainly interested in Knife making, and am wanting to save for a smithing anvil, is this a waste of time and money??

The fellow says it has good rebound, and ring.

Any help is appreciated.

G George

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4116_LI.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

Nice English made coach maker’s style anvil.  I’ve seen more William Fosters in this pattern than any other brand.

The condition is quite decent, especially considering it’s age. It would make a great anvil for knife-making/general smithing, and the side-shelf only adds to its usefulness. Wether it’s worth buying, of course, depends upon the price and how much you want it.:)

Good point, price is important. As a collector anvil, it definitely has value. For continuous shop use, I see an issue with delamination of the top plate, near the step. It may have even progressed enough to deaden the ring, What looks like cracks follow the edge about an inch in.

For knifemaking, precision is important, so check for flatness and smoothness, or your ability to make it so. :)