I Forge Iron

new anvils choices

I currently use a vertical rr anvil and I might use this as an opportunity to convince the wife to let me upgrade. Here is what I am considering:

$592 TFS 100 lb

$455 Emerson 100lb

$227 NC 70 lb ferrier

I need to be as cheap as possible while still getting the most bang for my buck. Would the NC anvil even be an upgrade over my vertical rr? Any other thoughts or recommendations? 

15 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I remember the thread about your RR anvil and it looks like a good one. What problems have you run into using it?

Two problems so far: 

1. It mars up pretty easily. I know Im still developing hammer control but I've had to bust out the grinder twice since making it to clean up the top...otherwise nasty marks on my work. 
2. It's been a pia to use with longer stock. I've tried both hammering along the vertical side of it as well as using a separate horizontal railroad anvil. This could also be my inexperience. 

3. I've been too lazy to try to solve the problem of not having a horn. The best solution I've come up with as someody who cant weld is to bolt on a 1 inch square tube and use a horizontal bick that I make myself. 

4. The grass is always greener...

29 minutes ago, Glenn said:

What are you going to be making on the anvil?  

Right now I'm focusing on making tools and hardware for my shop. When I'm not working on those projects I'm practicing my ABANA lessons. Still havent been able to do a single heat taper yet...

I would save longer and buy bigger.. Stay away from any farrier specific anvil..  You want as much thickness to the waist area as possible.. 

I've hear good things about both Emerson and TFS..  Holland anvils might be nother option as is Kanca or even Peddinghaus..  Refflinghaus is an expensive option.. 

If you are denting your anvil now.  You will still be denting the new anvil.. It will just make you cry more.. 

If you need a horn, look for different sizes of pipe, or other shapes that can be used.  A portable hole and tooling will solve many problems.

Look for a pick axe that has the shape you want.

You could put a taper on solid round stock or taper a piece of pipe to make a horn. 

3 hours ago, Thursigar said:

Still have not been able to do a single heat taper yet...

People do not pay for heats, they pay for finished products. 

The most expensive anvil you list is under $600. 

This was copied from another post:

Think of the anvil as a life time investment. It may be a bit expensive at first, but the price drops each time you use the anvil when you average out the price per hour of use.  For instance, $2000 should get you most of the NEW anvils available, until you get into the heavy anvils. If you use that anvil for a year (2000 hours) then the anvil cost is only $1.00 per hour.

Put a rent-to-own container in the shop and RENT your anvil for the very reasonable $1.00 an hour. No fair cheating and skipping a payment, or allowing the wife to find the rent-to-own container. At the end of a year (2000 hours) the anvil is paid for.

Anvils, rent to own.

Definatly make sure you factor in shipping when deciding where to order from.  I just ordered the 110lb Kanca myself and bought it for a higher sticker price as shipping was almost $100 cheaper from the retailer I went with for a very slight increase in sticker.

Lotta times if you hit up a farrier supply they will order you one from the anvil MFG and will have it shipped in with an order.. This can save you a bunch on shipping.. 

Or you can purchase at a place that offeres free shipping..   Glenn is pretty tough on links..   But the company I ordered my Peddinghaus from offered free shipping and tax free and 25% of the top price..   Delivered was less than a smaller size anvil..  The Peddinghaus was 1942.00 so it dropped it substantially.. for a model 12.. 

I paid less than this..  and you can see what another well known starting with an A wants for price below.. 

I am in no way saying this is the anvil to buy.. I am simply showing there are some deals out there that can substaintially help in the quest with some patients and some more saving.. 

Ridgid Peddinghaus Forged Anvil - Model 12 - 8-1/2" Horn (96942)

SKU: 95340

$1,661.53/ea

Ridgid 69642 Model 12 Forged Anvil

by Ridgid

Best Deal

Price: $2,975.69 + $3.67 shipping

When I said local, I meant super local. They are on my way to work. As far as saving up the money for an investment anvil, it's really more about the spending on a hobby from the wife's perspective. I might be able to get away with 300-500 with a shaking of the head, but 2,000 might have me sleeping on the anvil! 

If I get to the point where I decide to start selling things and begin to break even or turn a profit, then my arguement may grow stronger.  

Took me 5 years of saving to purchase the Peddinghaus. 

I dont eat lunch out, or smoke or get coffee out..  each dollar saved is a dollar earned..

When I was little my parents always said " if you want something, work and save for it.."

It's not so much as an anvil being an investment as it is giving you something you wont want to upgrade later..

On 3/30/2019 at 12:09 AM, Glenn said:

Look for a pick axe that has the shape you want.

Ironically, I just picked up an old smallish pick axe that miiiight work. I don't have a post vice yet, any ideas for mounting it? I'm considdering just digging another hole and burying the handle lol. 

On 3/30/2019 at 12:09 AM, Glenn said:

People do not pay for heats, they pay for finished products. 

This is a great perspective, and one that I will remember. Thank you.