I Forge Iron

Hand crank drill presses

Found this automatic feed hand crank drill press at an antique shop in lower Michigan for 20 bucks it works perfectly and indexes the depth one notch at a time run by an eccentric off the flywheel pretty cool welding Rods my name Valparaiso Indiana 

CAA32307-8B5C-434C-A6E8-63851404782A.jpeg

Yea probably won’t use it a lot but it should be a great conversation piece

18 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Good looking post drill and at $20 you got a bargain. The pawl should be adjustable to advance the drill 1,2 or 3 clicks at a time. It looks a lot like a Western Chief by Canedy Otto.

There’s no brand name on it but I do have a 1/2” chuck for it

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Find a jacob's chuck that will fit it as the old single shank bits are hard/expensive to find.

DO NOT TRY TO MOTORIZE IT!

Thanks I have a 1/2” chuck for it still need to make a table but that should be fairly easy 

Greetings Welding Rod, 

It looks like an Acme that was sold through the Sears stores . It is a 2 speed . If you move the crank hub to the other gear you can go to slow speed : I have several and use them all the time. They are great for kids to learn and of course they are cordless. It looks like you have an adjustable table. Can’t tell by the Picts. Have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

5E86EA60-BD62-4EE8-92CE-5AE41F6549D3.jpeg

E0176D0B-0EF1-4CA0-8B1C-3C381D0B1085.jpeg

Thanks for the input looks like your a fairly serious blacksmith looks like the one you have can be belt driven mine has a flywheel but it’s round not flat my handle length is adjustable for speed I believe and higher torque I do have a table shaft but have to fabricate a table I don’t suppose your anywhere near northwest Indiana I’d like to see your shop thanks again

On 3/6/2019 at 9:13 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Good looking post drill and at $20 you got a bargain. The pawl should be adjustable to advance the drill 1,2 or 3 clicks at a time. It looks a lot like a Western Chief by Canedy Otto.

Found out it is an ACME probably sold through Sears thanks for the info