I Forge Iron

executive axe how to forge measurements and drawings

As far as I can tell from your photos, that is a reproduction Dane axe, not specifically an executioner's axe (other than in mediocre grade "period" films).  The canonical 16th century european headsman's axes I've seen are more commonly socketed  (https://www.bygoneblades.com/buy-16th-century-executioners-axe-headsmans-axe) , but many different types of axes have been used through the centuries in a variety of cultures.  Do you just want to make an axe like the one you have pictured, or a more common executioner's axe?

If a Dane axe, there are many online sources for historical dimensions.  Searching for antique Dane or Viking axe images might be a good place to start.

As I recall the book put out by the Medieval Criminal Justice Museum in Rothenburg ODT, Germany Has examples of both the  headsman's axe and sword. Available from the museum shop:   "Pictures of the Medieval Crime and Justice Museum"

I can double check on that when I get home tonight, late.

Note that the Museum Replicas website has an "axe-of-justice" based on examples still extant.

The one you showed is a danish great axe

I should make an ax acceptation of those with large half-moon blade, I can not find reference pictures or drawings with measurements, it would be like a big cleaver or a big wide-banded monkey. thanks anyway for the right suggestions, what material and thickness do you recommend to use?

in truth it is the first that I am about to realize, therefore every suggestion advice or other is welcome thanks again

Your translator program is not doing as good a job as you think.  Having a bit of trouble following you.  A large axe is not a beginner project.  Even if you know how to forge and forge weld it can be daunting.  I would recommend starting with a couple of smaller tomahawks first.  As far as process, there are good videos online of Mark Aspery forging a colonial style axe and James Austin's CD gives step by step instruction on forging a Dane axe.  For material I would make the body out of mild steel and forge weld in a high carbon bit.

If you are doing a medieval style blade then real wrought iron with a steeled edge will do.  Please remember that medieval weapons were a lot lighter than most people nowadays think they were.  However the "weapons of justice" tended to be heavier to ensure a single cut would do the job.

I read that as "I should make an axe adaptation of those with a large half moon blade."

On 2/27/2019 at 3:55 PM, ThomasPowers said:

As I recall the book put out by the Medieval Criminal Justice Museum in Rothenburg ODT, Germany Has examples of both the  headsman's axe and sword.

Great Museum!

I sure would not want to have been accused of witchcraft in medieval Germany!

I have, several times (been to Salem). I'm sure it was no picnic, but prison, a trial, and hanging (or pressing in one guy's case) would be my choice over prison, torture, more torture and confession or not (eventually everyone will to end the torture), followed by burning at the stake. At least the Mass. Puritans didn't burn their witches. 

Well there are a few examples where people died rather than confess---which caused a lot of problems because: 1: their property was not subject to confiscation if they died "innocent" and 2: the people accusing could be considered guilty of lying to the "court".

• 9 months later...

It's a nice guide about axecrafting, but if someone else here looking for something finished, commercial link removed and read about modern tomahawks, you'd definitely find somethings useful!

They also offer a nice feature, if you subscribe to updates and there are any sales on amazon - they will notify you by email.