I Forge Iron

North West ND could use some help!!

UWBob

Is there anyone near the North West corner of North Dakota?  Seven (7) Miles from Canada and about 20 miles from Montana?  I would like to hear from you.  I am a new (so called) blacksmith although I don’t like to use that term as I am NO blacksmith, I just hit heated metal with a so called hammer, I would like to know if there is anyone near that can “forge” me into shape.

Any input would help, as it seems to me that I’m standing alone.
But I’m trying; at least I can say that, although I’m a little slow (health), I do my best.  Almost everything I know has been done though the internet, and that is not much, well I think I know a lot but do not know how to use it.
I am in Crosby, ND about 70 miles north of Williston, ND
Thank all of you, very much!!!!
Bob (UWBob)

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:33 AM, UWBob said:

Any input would help, as it seems to me that I’m standing alone.

Perhaps your location is a bit like mine. Not many smiths around here either.

Sometimes you just have to teach yourself and learn as you go along. Make plenty of mistakes but try not to make the same one twice.  Don't believe everything you see on the internet. You are better off finding a couple of good books written by real smiths who know what they are talking about.

And of course, IFI is a site that can provide you with lots of inspiration. I know it's not the same as having someone with experience to show you how, but sometimes we just have to make do.

Good luck with your endeavours … and keep safe.

ausfire;  Thank you for your reply!  Yes I am trying to be self taught, but it is slow... Mistakes, LOL, I make lots and you are correct, so far I haven't made the same ones twice yet, as there are so many.  Maybe, when I get a little more experience I could make the same mistakes again.

Again sir thanks for the response.

Bob

Welcome aboard Bob, glad to have you. You've got the right attitude but don't sell yourself short, Blacksmithing is a little knowledge and a lot of practice. How you acquire them is a BIG factor though, I'm largely self taught and do NOT recommend it if you can avoid it, I would've swept floors and emptied litter boxes for the chance to work with another smith. 

If there are horses, there are farriers. Most modern farriers aren't general blacksmiths and are busy guys; shoeing is a specialized type of smithing. However, a farrier will know who the blacksmiths are in the area. AND where to buy supplies like tools, coal, etc.

Take a look for farrier supplies in the yellow pages, the REAL PAPER Yellow Pages and call the phone #. The contact link on a website is almost invariably to a salesman, NOT someone who knows much or has time to answer questions via. Email. If you can't find farrier supplies look for farm supplies. If they don't carry smithing supplies they know who does and who uses them.

This is the kind of hunt where the phone and a human voice beats the internet . . . Like totally man! :)

Oh, about your "so called" hammer, if it has a smooth face and weighs in around 2lbs. +/- and you're beating HOT steel with it, it's NOT a so called blacksmith's hammer, it IS a blacksmith's hammer. 

I don't call myself a "blacksmith" either, not really I've been doing it for 50 years + but not seriously enough to claim the title. I'm a hobby smith and can do what I need to or figure it out quickly enough. Failing those I have some 45,000 friends and acquaintances around the world on Iforge I can ask for help. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.