I Forge Iron

Blue Tue

Ricky Lee

Sorry Im a 1 hour newb.lol,I recently purchased a centaur rivet forge and I noticed that the tuyere is turning blue and yellow below that right where it meets the bottom of the fire bowl.I contacted CF and the said that some discoloration is normal.But the thing that through me off is that they said cleary some accelerant was used or I poured water on it.Ive done neither

Steel oxidizes as it heats, and that changes the apparent color of the surface. So, yes: this is an indication that your tuyere is getting hot. Yellow is around 400F; blue is a couple hundred degrees hotter. If you read the information about heat treating, you can see how smiths use these colors as an indication of temperature during certain parts of heat treating.

Good Morning,

If this is the first time firing up the Coal Forge, this is the last time you will see the colour change. Put coal around the fire and stoke the fire by pushing the outside of your coal toward the center. Don't try to keep your fire at the bottom of the tuyere, add coal and allow the fireball to raise up.

Enjoy the journey.

Neil

2 hours ago, Ricky Lee said:

Im a 1 hour newb.

That's why it's important to read the thread JHCC linked. It will help you get the best out of the forum. If you will edit your profile to show your location, we won't have to ask you for it when answers depend upon it.