I Forge Iron

Brand new to blacksmithing

Sfoster216

Brand new to the trade, done lots of research and continuing to do so. Got an opportunity to learn and get paid while doing such. Mainly doing demos for tourists and making things for a gift shop on site but has lots of down time to continue to practice or be lazy. Been at it for 6 shifts so far and tried a knife out of an old file that was left on the side of the road. I know there's some mistakes but followed through anyway and rather happy so far. Any advice on what else I can make to better my skills or any advice in general is always acceptable 

15496669864565974081159087135084.jpg

15496670085213399619149496638686.jpg

Tools, tongs, hooks, and bottle openers. That's my recipe for learning for the next month or two until I'm confident I have hammer control down and am familiar with heat cycles of steel. As much as I want to jump right in and start making knives, I know I need as much practice as I can so I don't make a mess of things and discourage myself.

Welcome!

I’d suggest tools like punches and drifts.  Tongs aren’t beginner projects unless you are willing to fail a lot before you have success.  Making punches will acquaint you with basic heat treating.  To do that well you will have to hammer out small coupons of the (likely mystery) steel and experiment with heat treating it.  The method to do so is explained best here:  http://www.bamsite.org/tips/heat.pdf

Master that and you can start making small knives if that is your focus.  If you want to do blacksmithing as well you would do well to forge about 50 symmetrical s-hooks to start.  

Forging to a plan is a great way to grow.  My first pair of good tongs occurred when I sketched them out, planned the steps in forging and then worked off of my measurements.  Everything I did before that was horseplay in comparison.  I’d suggest a blacksmithing project book for that reason.  Following a plan until you can execute it is an amazing feeling.

Have fun,

Lou

Thanks guys, I am making a bunch of small hooks and nails and small decorative pieces, styled similar to 16th century blacksmiths, the knife was just to get a feel for it and didn't intend on doing such for awhile but I was shown something similar and just had to try it, but as far as making tongs I'll have to wait to come across bigger pieces of good material for myself. We have all the shop tools and they dont encourage wasting good material on noobies like me. But I have some small chunks I hope to make my various punches and chisels with as well,  just dipping in slowly as funds are low into a few of my personal things while I also slowly gather the materials to make a forge of my own. Appreciate the feedback 

Do not let them not wasting good materials on a noob hold you back. The steel supplier will give you the first cut for free when you material so it will fit into a car.  Or you can cut it with a chisel or hacksaw.  You can find junk metal in many places, for free, just be asking.

Surely there are auto repair shops in NE Florida. Also welding shop, fab shops, construction companies, demolition companies, etc etc. All these shops produce short pieces of metal as they do business. Take a day and drive through the main street of town, then drive the back streets and alleys. Stop and ask before you collect anything. Tell they folks who you are, and what you do. Carry a box of cookies in the car in exchange for metal offered. Then return with something you have made as a gift, and a thank you. 

5 hours ago, Sfoster216 said:

So far that is my only supply, asking around if I'm not at work and I've even found good mystery metals walking with my daughter just been all small pieces so far, but big enough to get started with more tools etc

Mystery metal walks with your daughter?! Have her walk them home, she's a gold mine! 

You DO carry: hack saw & blades, bolt cutters, good sized hammer and chisels in the trunk don't you? An old blanket and tiedown straps for long stuff you don't want to cut.

Frosty The Lucky.