I Forge Iron

Camelback drillpress

I just bought a Mechanics Machine Co. drillpress. It came out of the Daisy BB gun plant in Rogers Arkansas. It has had an electric motor added. It has a brass tag where it was sold new. Chas A strelenger tool Co Detroit Mi. 

Im trying to find a date on it. Mechanics machine went out of business in 1912 and started in 1890.

Any patent numbers on it?  You can check those against dates; though they are best for the "can't be before WXYZ as that is when that specific patent number was issued."  Some companies went on using the molds with the patent dates for years after issuance though.   (Reminds me of looking at a cast iron skillet where the markings included the date that the company was founded and having the dealer tell me it was that old---when it was a modern one, they had used the date as a "brand" name...)

There is a short thread on this site about someone having one  

I see someone posted a catalog pic...you might be able to contact that old poster and see if they can help.

Interesting that Mechanics Machine Company ended up being part of the start of Borg Warner.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Any patent numbers on it?  You can check those against dates; though they are best for the "can't be before WXYZ as that is when that specific patent number was issued."  Some companies went on using the molds with the patent dates for years after issuance though.   (Reminds me of looking at a cast iron skillet where the markings included the date that the company was founded and having the dealer tell me it was that old---when it was a modern one, they had used the date as a "brand" name...)

Thomas I’ll look as I clean it up. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, anvil said:

Heres a pretty good site that may help.

http://www.beautifuliron.com/gs_drills_camelback.htm

Wow thanks for the information. Some good reading there. I’ll save this for future reference. I haven’t made much headway lately but I did wire it up and drill some holes. It’s gonna need a new belt. It runs very quiet and smoothe.