I Forge Iron

Pictures...Finally

Sorry for the delay on the photos. The program that we use is back up so here they are. The one with the fire is hardening the clay. The others are pictures of the pipe that keeps the air vent clear. A 2x1/4 flat bar acts as a removable cover, keeping the pipe from getting clogged. The holes in the 2x1/4 are 1 size smaller than the holes in the pipe, that way anything that falls through the top will fall through the bottom. The other picture is my new toy. I plan to rig it up as a sailboat with a sprit rig. If anyone knows anything about how to rig a sailboat please send me a private message. Anyway the forge works great, and my first demo is Saturday. It's a reenactment of the Scottsville Ky. town raid. I will be in full uniform with the forge and I might play a little music too. I usually stick a hat out while I play, and sometimes we do pretty good. (My sister and I) The pictures!

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

6841.attach

6842.attach

6843.attach

6844.attach

Dimes to donuts says debris that fall through the smaller holes above will not fall through the larger lower holes (visualize pushing Mike and Ike's through the top holes then guess why they will not fall through the lower holes). Garbage will become trapped and will rattle around like, well, a baby rattle and reduce you airflow. Can you access the lower plate and remove it? Oh, if you remove to top plate to access the lower one, drill more hole to achieve a better airflow, it won't hurt anything and you won't regret it.

Other then my concerns, you're go to go!

It should be pretty easy to put an ash dump on your tuyere. Next time you're at an auto parts, etc. store buy an exhaust flapper cap in the same size as your lower pipe. Than bolt or weld a weighted extension arm to it to keep it closed. Then mount it so the counter weight is aimed towards where you stand so you can lift it with the tongs, rake, poker, etc. Then you won't have to worry about anything plugging your air AND if you get a gas explosion it'll only clear the ash.

Well, it WILL blow ash all over you too but. . . :o

Frosty
GCOA

Nice looking forge. Frosty's suggestion for the ash dump is a Real easy fix for ya. Hope your forge works as well as mine newly restored forge did on it's first demo! Keep a smile on your face and talk to the spectators as they show up. I'm sure you will be a hit with the crowd. And to top it all off a dancing/singing blacksmith! What more could you ask for?!?! Enjoy and let us know how it goes. You know the routine...plenty of pictures....

Sabre, the wood was in there to harden the clay, I burn coal.
Frosty, I do have an ash dump on my tuyere. The pipe is just an extension of the air duct. I can reach down in the pipe to clear anything that sticks in there.
I don't dance!

The kidmsith,
Dave Custer

AW Dave, if you don't dance you are going to leave a bunch of folks wanting.;) EVERYBODY likes a singing/dancing blacksmith, don't disappoint the crowd! Remember the rules of demoing: 1) to educate, 2) to entertain! alas, makeing money usually falls WAY down the list for me.:(

Ham it up and keep up a steady patter for the folks watching. Just seeing a guy hitting steel gets dull fast for the average person. Story boards are nice too. Anything to educate the public and give them a bit of a show is good.
Finnr

EVERYBODY likes a singing/dancing blacksmith, don't disappoint the crowd!

This reminds me of demoing at the AK state fair in 95'. I was doing a leaf hook demo and keeping the crowd (30+/- people) more or less entertained when a couple of cute YOUNG ladies asked a question.

The only problem being they were a good 40' away and I couldn't understand what they were asking so I asked them to speak up. Well, the crowd turned around to see who I was talking to and the bashful young things barely whispered a repeat of the question.

To ease their shyness I told them they could get closer and speak up, we were a friendly bunch. They took half a timid step closer and now even more embarrassed repeated whatever they wanted to know but still too quiet.

After a couple more coaxings one of them finally spoke up enough I could understand them. They wanted to know where the lumberjack show was.

"Lumberjacks?" I shouted back. Looking somewhat relieved both nodded. So I put my left foot up on my anvil block and launched into the "Lumberjack Song." You know the one of Monte Python fame.

"Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay I sleep all night and I work all day!" :o

Poor kids looked like I was going to charge out and eat them alive or something. The crowd broke up and after only a short chorus I pointed to the sign they were standing next to directing them to the lumberjack show.

It was one of those truly precious moments in my life. :rolleyes: I just hope the girls didn't need therapy for too many years afterwards.

Frosty