I Forge Iron

Flame arrestor

tardster

Ok guys n gals, I'm almost done with my forge. I went in to fire it up and let it fully heat up for the first time tonight and before I could get the pressure turned up on the gas I noticed some of the flame coming out of the choke holes so I shut it off. It ran for about 10-20 seconds before I turned it off and once the gas was off the burner area at the top was pretty darn warm. I knew I needed to get a flame arrestor but this just shows me that its better for me to wait to fire it up until I get on. So after searching and searching I'm even more xxxxxxx up about which flame arrestor I should get and use. I've looked online and read about them but there are quite a few out there. I'm wanting to know which one should I get to use since you guys use them. Right now I'm just using a 20 lb grill sized bottle but soon I will be switching over to the bigger 100 lbs bottle. The ones I've seen on amazon and ebay all say they fit and work but when you the feedback there are a lot of them that say they had to get adapters and all of that.

If you have flames blowing out the air intakes it's a building or design error, a flame arrestor isn't going to help. Just so we're on the same page, what are you calling a flame arrestor, have a pic or link? Different devices use different arrestors.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I just barely had the gas on so I'm pretty sure that is why the flame was coming out the choke holes. As I said I just lit it up and looked inside the forge at the flame and as I was getting ready to adjust the pressure on it I noticed the flame so I shut it down because I didn't want to take any chances. Here is a link to the flame arrestor I found on amazon, Link removed I feel it would be much safer not to mention I'd feel a lot more fuzzier inside knowing the flame cant go back through the pipe and get to the propane bottle lol.

image.png

Okay, those are flash back arrestors entirely different from flame arrestors. Those are to prevent flame from traveling back up the hose, most commonly occurs when a gas welding tip gets partially blocked. That or someone overheats the head.

Forget arrestors, turn up the throttle, that puppy needs fuel. Start high and back it off, not crazy high say 12-15 psi. and adjust from there. If you have a 1/4 turn ball valve right after the regulator you can shut it off quickly if the fire gets away from you. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Xxxx, that's right I meant flashback not flame, I told you this stuff messed me up lol. Ok which flashback arrestor is  best for what we do or at least what I'm wanting to do?

Yes Mikey, that's exactly what happened. I'm a welder and I honestly try to be as safe as I can and since the wife might get a bit upset if I burn the garage down or blow myself up I figured it would be better to get one lol.

Propane will not burn without the presence of Oxygen, Flame cannot propagate up a hose filled 100% with propane.

HOWEVER Acetylene can exothermically disassociate without the presence of Oxygen and so MUST have a flashback arrestor!

Are you burning Propane (or natural gas/Methan/...)  No flashback arrestor needed.

Are you burning Acetylene? ARRESTOR NEEDED!

Now if you are using high pressure Oxygen that can overcome the pressure your propane is at; it can back flow into the hoses and cause problems. But I know of nobody using an Oxy-Propane system for their forge burner.

Thomas, I'm very sure it was because I didn't have enough pressure going through it at the time. The regulator came with the burner, it's a 30 lb adjustable regulator, here's a link to the burner I have and yes it is on top. Its set up in the 1-2 o'clock position. 

Link removed

image.png