I Forge Iron

Charles Rennie Mackintosh Ironwork and Metalwork

ThomasPowers

Ironwork and Metalwork by Charles Rennie Mackintosh at Glasgow School of Art

Softback,  black and white photos and scaled drawings of details of 32 examples of the famed Architect and designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh 

Born in 1868, his work around the turn of the 19th to 20th century is very different from the gothic forms often seen in smithwork.

(It's also mentioned that some of his designs caused the smith employed to argue that they were impossible...)

Found this 1968 exhibit catalog type of book at a reasonable price  at a used bookstore in southern NM and felt it was a good addition as my books on decorative ironwork tend toward the medieval and renaissance.

i have some of his(well replicas:D) ladder backed chairs, the design causes them to be somewhat top heavy which is prone to surprising folk that hang jackets/coats on them(these are chairs that were designed for a tea room go figure! they are however surprisingly comfortable . he definitely was a design icon and that must be a wonderfull book.

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2019 at 5:14 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Ironwork and Metalwork by Charles Rennie Mackintosh at Glasgow School of Art

Just won an eBay auction for a copy of this, for about half of what I would have had to pay to get a copy from the UK.