I Forge Iron

Detailed learning curve and troubleshooting with my first DIY burner

Daedelus

Fisher Burner Mike, I have a couple. It's also where "flame holder" came from as far back as I looked. If the same page loads as I got, 4th. from the left, top row. The screen or perf plate is much older tech, goes farther back than gas mantel lamps. 

Frosty The Lucky.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DtsBOcJcP38AlV9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=fisher+burner&fr=crmas

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Had a nice day off today and made myself a cart for the forge (and other future forges). There are a few updates that needs to be taken care of, such as the gas-hose extender and the airtight-top-seal as mentioned before. However this thread is for the burner, not for the forge!

I have the propane pressure set to 0,5 bar on the tank, and have only changed the air-adjuster on the burner intake. I did not let the forge heat up before, so I would have the darkest background to make these shots.

So this is what the burn looks like, with the new tank and adjuster:

Pressure.thumb.jpg.7209a75252431f453fa735d04a6f9138.jpg

Small air opening:

IMG_20190505_212720.thumb.jpg.bcf6a6ae070937f98f9433cae84611db.jpg

Medium air opening:

IMG_20190505_212738.thumb.jpg.3535bcac7959e052dd55be50e5e0fe95.jpg

Big air opening:

IMG_20190505_212817.thumb.jpg.aada34090a3406d8d10f871eb2b93d97.jpg

Once I reduce the air opening, I can get a nice blue dragon's breath, however it is quite large. I suspect I need to adjust the pressure a little lower. Unfortunately I don't have a proper shot of this.

Lets take a minute and discuss your regulator; the gas gauge looks like it is meant for acetylene; if it came with the regulator, that means the regulator is meant for acetylene fuel gas. If it is a fairly new regulator, that might be okay. If it is an old regulator that is very likely NOT okay at all. LPG gases tend to dissolve the gaskets that were used for decades in those regulators. At least in the USA, later model acetylene regulators started using safer gaskets. It would be wise to check with an expert to see if your regulator is safe with LPG fuels. Regulator fires really suck!

The flames indicate that you need a smaller orifice in you gas jet; the burner is close, but not quite there yet.

Thanks for the warning Mikey. Even though the regulator is newly bought from the propane supplier, a regulator fires sounds bad. 

(Edit: I have looked up the product/order again, and the product information is as follows:

Adjustable pressure for all applications with high pressure.

High pressure regulator, 0 to 3 bar
Throughput 8kg-12kg/hour
In 1/4 innerthread
Out: 1/4 innerthread
Approved for Hot Air Canons and gas burners to 55 kW.

Reference: https://multiflame.nl/product/hogedruk-gasdrukregelaar-0-3-bar/ 
model: NC2005L)

Previously I used a 0.6 mm mig tip which lead to a red hot mixing tube. After this I switched to the 1.0 mm mig tip I had.
What size would be recommended, back to the 0.6mm or try a 0.8mm?

On 5/6/2019 at 9:37 PM, Mikey98118 said:

Sounds like a multi-fuel regulator.

Try a .9mm MIG contact tip.

Meaning the regulator should be fine right?

I checked the hardware store today, they only had 0.6 and 0.8 mm, so I'm going to order a 0.9 mm mig tip online.