I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Forging Press

Peppie

Can anyone direct me to a " group" site?.. 

I am in the design phase of a DIY press, and looking for info from those who have done the same.

I have James L. Batson's book on how to build a 24 ton press. I also have Randy McDaniel's book. Great info in both.

I feel the more info I get the better !!

Peppie

As a matter of fact there's an Iforge member who's built probably one of the sweetest, cleanest designed most versatile forging press/hammers I've ever seen. I don't know of a commercially built one nicer. Unfortunately my TBI prevents me from recalling his name though I'm sure someone will be along before long who does.

Frosty The Lucky.

I do but there on the maritime blacksmiths facebook site my friend put them up anyway i got a new phone and i got to make a new video and pics.Its self contained and mobile 18'' wide 36'' long base 60'' high.Its got a 2 stage 5'' cyl  10'' stroke, 5hp motor ,its fast and it will squeeze lol.Were figuring between 26/30 ton i also used Randys book as a ruff guide it was good for making the the dies and mounts and alot of the differant dies that can be used.The hardest decision is which way to mount the ram this is the first one i done if you can weld use a square and a measuring tape there not hard to make.Also its made out of 1/4 '' x4'' square stock reinforced at the ram and base mount with 1'' plate and its all welded with 3 to 4 passes of 7018 stick.If ya got any ques just pm take a look on that site and see what ya think

TY bubba682 I will look it up for the pics.

I have a 4' X 2' X 5/8" plate. I am considering cutting out a rectangular hole in the center. Leaving 8" on each outside uprights , and appprox. 8" at the top. It will look life an upsidedown "U".  The cylinder and dies will fit in the 8" X 38"-40" opening. Want to use a 2 hp motor, with a 5.5 gpm pump on a 5" bore X 8" stroke. Should get me near 24 ton.

Where did ya get your cylinder?

I like how you have the motor and pump under the tank. Did you fasion a foot peddle for the valve? Didnt see a pic of it.

I didn't set a foot peddle up im betwix and between on doin it i like the hand lever, i had to buy all my hydrolics from a supplier ''gag'' anyway we just don't have the scrap yards up here like you guys do.I have 12'' of work space between the uprights and 8'' of travel if that helps.Will 2hp be enough i don't no everything i read said min 5hp its not a big deal, if it works great That plate you got is more than enough i wish i could get some cheap lol.The only real headache i had was the wheels stay away from made in china...i was moving the press and next thing ya know berrings everywhere.Oh and i was the guy doin the cursen Wayne was filmin lol

I got the motor, pump, and cylinder specs from. "  Build your own hydraulic forging press"  by James L. Batson. Lots of charts to go by.

Thinking on doubleing up the rams. My height is restricted by the size of my 5/8 plate. I can gain 2" if I use a 4" bore, instead of the 5" bore. Problem there is the 4" is rated for 16 ton, and the 5" bore is rated 24 ton. Not sure 16 ton is enough in the future. 

So I am researching double cylinders. I may have to increase the pump, motor, and fluid tank.

My space is limlited to 10' X 10'. And the lid goes from 7' at the open walls to 10' at the center peak.

Whats the lid,i would definatly go for 24t or more i kept my builds footprint small as well cause of space limit issues as well.You should take in ram speed as well as tonnage i think fast and strong is better than big and strong for a small shop.Thats my opinion you'll probally find lots of opinions out there lol .ALSO when you start doubling up and goin bigger so does the cost...

On 12/8/2018 at 8:06 PM, Frosty said:

As a matter of fact there's an Iforge member who's built probably one of the sweetest, cleanest designed most versatile forging press/hammers I've ever seen. I don't know of a commercially built one nicer. Unfortunately my TBI prevents me from recalling his name though I'm sure someone will be along before long who does.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, were you referring to 78sharpshooter's sweet build?