I Forge Iron

Sculpture in progress

There is no forging involved but here is an art piece I am working on. I typically make ideas that pop in my head and then end up entering them in art shows or competitions. We will see what happens with this one. 

From concept to partly finished. I still have to add one element and hours of sanding, polishing and painting. 
The cube and ball are stainless. The triangle is mild steel and will be painted.

I also got really lucky today and had someone come over and commission/buy three pieces for over $1,000. I have to make two of them before Christmas so the next couple of weeks will be busy.

20181112_112947.jpg

20181208_154512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did a bit more work on this sculpture. I am trying to decide if I want to paint the mild steel pyramid a gloss black or be lazy and let it rust. If you think a different color would be better, let me know. 

I tried to polish two sides of the stainless steel cube and put different patterns on the other sides.

The coil thing is also stainless steel. 

20181221_113239.jpg

20181221_113233.jpg

20181221_113335.jpg

20181221_113223.jpg

20181221_113218.jpg

I am just making this on my own so it is not a commission. Due to that, I don't know if or when it will sell, or where it will be displayed. I imagine, that if I prepare it for an outside display, that will suffice for other locations. 

I typically use rattle can spray paint on my work. I know of Sculpt Nouveau, but have not tried it. I also have not tried hot bluing and am unfamiliar with that technique. Unless it is referring to the color change due to welding or using a torch. That I have done before. 

A higher polish on the stainless would look great for the reflection. 

Not sure what you are using but a 6" duel action sander and different sand paper would make easy work of the flats. Paper goes up to and probably beyond 3000 grit. After working your way up, 3000 grit trizac pads used wet will get it to where you can use an automotive buffer and compound to get a mirror polish on stainless. 

You could always look into automotive paints and clearcoats. They have uv protection and are obviously durable in outdoor conditions.

Lol, I've worked in autobody for a little while so some of the tools I use cross over. 

The cube was from a piece of scrap I received in trade several years ago. It had some pretty good scratches on it and I made a few mistakes sanding the edges and ended up with some good scratches in those areas. 

I was using a few different tools and abrasives. I have a Metabo variable speed burnisher, Metabo variable speed grinder, 5" DA electric sander, 1/4 sheet palm sander and the 3M roloc pads. I think I went to 600 or 1000 grit with the palm sander. I also used the Rex-cut 3 step polishing system with combi-flap disc, unitized disc and polishing disc. 

Even with those tools, I was spending a lot of time trying to get the scratches out, make it flat and shine it up as best I could before I welded it to the base. I intend on going over the polished areas again once I decide on the finish for the pyramid. 

I bought that one and a couple others like it from Homedepot.com. They are in the garden type area and the balls are considered to be called,  "gazing balls".

I used the ship to store option and was able to save some money that way. 

I think they were around $22 to $32 each. That was the best price I have found online for ones if that size.

They have a small hole in them and you can see a bit of a seam where the two halves were welded together. I used the existing hole to add a threaded insert to attach it to the pyramid.

The coil helps to obsure or distract from the seam. 

Thanks. My little buddy always a good model. 

When I first drew it out I was going to use gloss black. In that design, the coil was going in a different direction. 

Once I made it this way, trying to mask all those parts off and prime and paint around changed my mind.

Edit: Plus it is a high of 44 degrees or so now, I dont have an indoor paint area, and painting is not my favorite hobby. 

Masking isnt that bad. Eh. I'm fortunate to have a heated garage. Also have some torpedo heaters from salvaging/ scraping. Before all that I even have some old electric heaters(picked up at estate sales "auctions" for cheap)  I've used to keep parts warm that i was painting. 

No worries tho. It's cool, and its yours ( until someone loves it enough to buy it). :)

• 2 weeks later...