I Forge Iron

Installed just before the first snowfall

Just now, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Will also help going up/down ice covered steps. The only time I fall on ice is when navigating steps/stairs.

Not to worry, the steps will be cleaned. They lead to an office.

20 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Nice Yves, I like it. Two way traffic won't do knuckle bumps. SWEET.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thanks.

The two handrail job was a specification from the client. She wanted something similar to Paris handrails climbing the hill to Montmartre. Not a copy though, something to refer  to them.

JHCC,

This is the one in particular, the one climbing the rue Maurice-Utrillo. It has knobs in the middle to discourage young men to slide down the handrail. I would not …

Might I add that I am quite happy that you would prefer my interpretation. There is no forge welding in the Paris ones.

La vieille dame aux escaliers de la rue Maurice Utrillo à Montmartre

I quite like your version.  The ones pictured as inspiration and from JHCC look to be more welding and fabrication.  I could be wrong.  Yours are blacksmith work.  It made me think, most of the things I make for outside use I put the blacksmith finish of boiled linseed oil applied while hot enough to smoke the oil.  My forge could not handle such large pieces I think and wonder about how one could finish these pieces.  Very nice work.

MotoMike,

Since they are to be found all over Paris (more than 150 stairs I believe), such public commissions cannot be filled by blacksmithing. They are all welding and fabrication. No anvil and hammer here at all.

Mine is a blacksmith's work : the cubes are forge welded, so are the collars and the plates that make the base and the rivets that bind the three layers of the handrails proper together. all coponents of the arms that bear the handrails are of course forged. All bolts and nuts were forged and hand tapped (is that the word ?)

Mister Miller was also involved : the curved structures (the larger arms) were migged to the posts and the posts themselves were welded (tubing) together. The posts were welded to the base.

The caps on the wedge anchors are temporary. I will change these for forged caps (still have to draw them. The client does not know that I will make that change. I will not charge of course.)

I also use boiled linseed oil, alone. I always try to talk clients out of the idea of painting the things I forge. Instead I offer the following : I brush the steel, let it rust for some time and wipe off the loose rust with a rag. Then I apply a coat of linseed oil. After a year I will (all my clients do it themselves) go and wipe off the loose rust and oil in the same manner. And then it's a couple of years later. And then it's almost never. I learned this form John Little a blacksmith in Nova Scotia. He has had large hinges for forty some years now has always treated them that way and they are perfect. Here is a pic of a balustrade I made a couple of years ago :

P1040204.thumb.jpg.296a73b38eac203fbe60f7b0d7a6cad7.jpg

This is the colour you get.

I could not hot oil such large objects hot in my shop : I forge in a silo (diameter 14'0").

Thank you for your reply.