I Forge Iron

Old Chisel

The fact that it says cast steel would seem to make it pretty old.  Others here will know more on that topic.  I can speak to the shape.  It appears to be a roughing gouge for wood turning.  While there’s a chance that it could be useful for timber framing or bowl carving... I’d bet on it being intended as a turning tool.  Similar ones are being made today... but they don’t use cast steel anymore.

I searched on William Ash Tools and had several profitable hits; You have already seen this one

"As far as I've been able to establish, the working dates for William Ash & Co. were from about 1822 to about 1845, on Norfolk Lane. And, that may be the most likely time frame for your gouge. But, that is not the entire story. The "WM. ASH & Co." mark continued to be used for quite some time after these dates. We know, for certain, that it was one of the marks used by BURYS & Co., 1863 to 1965, Regent Works, Penistone Road."

I will add that "cast steel" was a term mainly used in the 19th century and Sheffield didn't teem much of it past the 1920's  (Huntsman started making cast steel in the late 1700's)           Does NOT look like a turning gouge to me.

Next one arrow and cross and B  Butcher:  for another example see 

www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/869/title/Chisel+Detective

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...