I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand material hold down

I suppose I don’t know the correct blacksmith term but the use of a chain or item other than a Pritchett hole hold down to work as a third hand while forging.

I added this chain secured by a pull pin and weighted on the other end by a 5lbs cylinder.

I also had to add some angle iron to the edges as the chain was chewing up the edges of my anvil stand.

I’m interested in what everyone else uses.

7B250791-6569-4885-9EB0-AFEBE8EE75E5.jpeg

149B3C22-690E-4EBE-BB4F-32416C7ACE87.jpeg

BBD7768F-4C54-4568-A249-8976B3FAF9BB.jpeg

BDAF2D41-DC57-453D-99ED-69D081CE3FB8.jpeg

E84C5767-3B60-4B2E-A25E-6735DEE6D965.jpeg

A tire iron can be forged into a nice tough angled jam holdfast.  

I also have one made from a large jaw from a plumbing wrench forged to fit my hardy hole with a hole cross drilled in the small end which a spring attaches to---and to the base of the anvil.  Welded a T handle to the top

Seen the chain with a stirrup attached so you can apply as much pressure as needed.

Seen the one that fits around the heel of the anvil with a spring to the stump on the bottom and a handle on top, Pull up and slide your piece in . (IIRC Bill Moran used one like this.)

Seen one made from a pipe clamp that the pipe fit through the hardy hole and had the bottom jaw place on it. You adjusted to close while the steel heated and then crank it down to hold the piece.  Hmmm I've seen a top and most of the side of a large C clamp at the fleamarket---I guess I know what I could make from it...

One of the best and simplest ones is to have your striker hold the piece while you work it...

Grumpy, some people use motorcycle, engine timing chain or other similar. (Smaller links to grab different pieces easier.) 

Nice job. 

I have used a drill press vicegrip with the one jaw and the threaded hole on the other "jaw" nub. It works well with a bolt and washer through the pritchel hole. 

I think this weekend when I’m out in Berlin (Ohio) I’ll look for some chain that lays flatter. 

Motorcycle chain would be fitting for me but I remember seeing a length of gear chain used to run a piece of Amish farm equipment.

I’m afraid to say it may have been from a manure spreader. 

I had it in my hand to buy but put it back.

less than $10 , I should have brought it home with me.

I use a motorcycle chain I picked up from the shoulder of I-90 in Boston. It hooks onto a rail at the back of the anvil stand, so it can be positioned almost anywhere along the length of the anvil. The weight is a bell clapper from a Russian Orthodox monastery in New York State.

E24FB281-01D3-429E-9E94-058F9DECF2C8.jpeg

9740E493-5F79-482C-9C41-90615BB94DC1.jpeg

(NB: there are two holds-down shown here, but I moved one of them to my adjustable stand.)