I Forge Iron

Hello, I'm new - be gentle

ianmack1984

Evening ladies and gents,

As the topic suggests, I'm not only new to the site but also new to the hobby of blacksmithing.

At present, i havent got a forge or anything yet until I get permission from the mrs to play with fire (or until she trusts me not to burn everything down including myself?).

Looking for advice on where to start - probably looking more at a coal forge as opposed to propane/gas purely for safety reasons.

Smithing is something I have always been into ever since I made a forged screwdriver back in high school with a knurled handle and should of made that my trade.

What would your recommendations for a total beginner be? Aiming more towards making knives and kitchen knives.

Welcome to the wonderful world of blacksmithing!

Start by reading everything you can on the subject of blacksmithing.  Here are some books I found helpful when I started:

• The Art of Blacksmithing by Alex W. Bealer
  • A Blacksmithing Primer by Randy McDaniel
  • The Backyard Balcksmith by Lorelei Sims
  • Blacksmithing, Basics for the Homestead by Joe DeLaRonde
  • The Blacksmith by Aldren A. Watson

Also read the many threads on this forum.  There's so much valuable information here.

Next thing will be finding tools, anvil, and forge.  Take your time and save a lot of money so that you can get a good start.  

Lastly, smile and get forging.

Welcome aboard Ian, glad to have you. Hey, I made a screw driver in jr. high school metal shop class, it was the only time the instructor lit the forge without loud pestering  by the students. The intent of shop classes when I was in school was to teach a useful trade and blacksmithing wasn't considered a trade at the time.

Do some reading on the forum for sure, largely to help you develop a handle on the craft's jargon so you can ask good questions and understand the answers. IFI is organized by subject in sections and sub sections. Having a handle on the jargon will make finding subjects of interest to you easier. 

There are I don't know how many posts in the getting started and beginner's projects sections. I recommend you skim first the subjects, then thread titles, then posts before you start reading in earnest, it'll save you hours even days of sifting posts.

If you have any questions give us a shout, it's an addictive craft and we'll help. 

Frosty The Lucky.