I Forge Iron

1/8" Pipe Nipple Swage

olfart

Living in the boondocks, it's often hard/impossible to find some of the plumbing needed to build a gas forge.  After looking unsuccessfully in every hardware/plumbing store in this county for a 1/8" schedule 80 pipe nipple, I settled on a run-of-the-mill schedule 40 nipple.  The .035 mig tip rattled around like a BB in a boxcar inside that nipple, so I made a swaging die to use in my press and squoze the end of that nipple (after cutting off the threaded end) down far enough to thread it with a 1/4 - 28 tap.  Worked like a champ.

Pipe Nipple Swage.jpg

Good Morning, Ol'...

I call myself the Ol' Goot (like goat, except shorter). LOL

Some people think there is a rule book for gas forges. The best rule is "BE SAFE". Whatever it takes to make it work, works fine. If there is a gas leak at the tip of the nipple, it leaks into the forge. NO PROBLEM. If there is a leak anywhere else in the system, it is a potential explosion. Fuel + Air at the correct ratio, plus an ignition source = Fire in the hole. If you have too much dragons breathe AFTER the Forge warms up, you need to back off the propane regulator to reduce fuel or add more Air (turn up the blower or add a blower/hair drier).

Neil

Well DONE! That my friend is a proper blacksmitherly solution to a problem. Mike has been known to swage mig tips down to hold needles I don't recall the name of to make his small burners. 

Remember, if a problem can't be solved with a hammer it's probably electrical. B)

Thanks for the smile of the day, I gotta go now there's a backhoe and a trench calling my name, expecting the back fill gravel soon.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah, it's been around since probably Franklin and the storm. Did you know he paid a nephew to fly the kite in the storm and watched from indoors?

Here's another. "Few problems in life can't be solved with the proper application of high explosives."

Frosty The Lucky.